Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tank had three pin hole leaks, courtesy of gm method of protecting the tank. 25 years of trapped dirt will rust a tank. I never put they plastic pan back on.

Cleaned, sanded, wire brushed area, brake cleaner, then cut chunk of jb weld steel stik. Applied to pin hole area. Painted tank.

So far so good! Has anyone else had luck good or bad long term?
My 97 tank rusted same,I replaced it. everything with that truck is mission critical and long distance. This 94 bucket truck is farm use so I'm gonna have some fun experimenting on things I normally would not trust, just for the sake of knowing first hand.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Mine started to leak on a cracked spot weld for the tank baffle. It's a Dorman replacement. Used JB Weld water weld, as suggested by a local farm implement dealership. It leaked again right away, not sure where but not as much. I had success with regular JB weld on the top of a Subaru tank, but people say that the regular JB weld products don't stand up to constant immersion in fuel.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
I used the two part putty from Advanced Auto (on my dump truck) and it lasted for years.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have high hopes for this jb steel stik , it seems as though everybody has used this on the fuel tank with great success so we will see how it works for me oh, and I didn't realize JB Weld had so many different types of JB Weld it looks like there's a J-B Weld for everything

·
Registered
73 Posts
I saw someone repair a fuel tank on a F150 with jbweld back in my Toronto days. As far as I know it held for years.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Rough up area and apply JB weld to a stainless panhead screw. Insert screw and JB weld over.. Now that leads me up to the Tech Tip of the Month.

Tech Tip >>> When applying JB weld to a surface that needs to be smooth spit on your fingers and apply generously over the JB Weld. The stuff won't stick to your fingers and you can get it satin smooth.. Water won't work. Doubt you can find that info anywhere. You read it here first since I invented it.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I used jb weld steel stick for a fuel line rub thru on my 53 MF35 diesel tractor.

That was 3yrs ago. So far so good.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Rough up area and apply JB weld to a stainless panhead screw. Insert screw and JB weld over.. Now that leads me up to the Tech Tip of the Month.

Tech Tip >>> When applying JB weld to a surface that needs to be smooth spit on your fingers and apply generously over the JB Weld. The stuff won't stick to your fingers and you can get it satin smooth.. Water won't work. Doubt you can find that info anywhere. You read it here first since I invented it.

I don't wanna know what other body fluids you tried...:D

·
Registered
247 Posts

Great tip, never tried the spit and JB Weld but I do know that same trick works wonders with "The Right Stuff" gasket maker....

Cant wait to try it on JB :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I think I'll pass on that tip DieselPro, I tried that once with polyester "putty" and that stuff sticked everywhere like syrip until it cured.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
about a year later, the JB Steel Stick weld is still holding a full tank of diesel. There were leaks on TOP of the tank and on the sides along the holding straps. The tank it kept FULL in case of covid19 fuel shortage it is basically a spare fuel holding vessel.

I sanded the area, around the holes and cut off a chunk of steel stick, kneaded it, applied to area firmly and 1/16"+/- thick. Let cure 24 hours, painted tank, put back on and filled it up. Couldn't be happier with JB Weld Steel Stick.

JUST WANTED TO UPDATE YOU GUYS. ALMOST A YEAR AND HOLDING.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts