Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys heres the deal. I met my girlfriends parents for the first time the other night. Well him and (jobless) his son are into drag racing and they have a monza with a 388 ci. The best it ever ran was a 7.49 in the 1/8th. So I got telling him about my truck and that I hope to make it down to the drag strip this summer to try out my new setup. I told him roughly what my truck should be putting out for numbers given that I have the a5k, dual fuelers and moonshine. He basically told me I'm screwed cuz the guy down the road has the "best" programmer they make and that he's always kicking out his tranny. He told me that there's no way my truck can be making so much power. At this point I'm pissed but keep my mouth shut. So basically I either want to kick his azz or be right on his heels. Do you guys think this is possible?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
7.49 is likely high 11's right? You can do it but you're truck is going to need to be running pretty good. Is the moonshine custom made for the dual fuelers? If not talk to Tony and see what he can do for you. Do you have tie rod sleeves, centerlink strapped etc etc? You better get some practice in and work out the bugs before you race him. You will most likely not run 11's your first time out. I doubt you'll run 12's your first time out. It can be done but it takes some work.

With that being said he's likely talking out of his *** and probably won't run anywhere near a 7.49 either.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah tony has it setup for the fuelers. i have sleeves and will probably strap it down once i crank the tbars all the way down. I don't have to worry about anything 1/4 mile cuz we don't have one up here in Maine. His car is completley setup for draggin with slicks and the whole nine, but damn I wanna smoke his azz. I have kick azz reaction time due to being a former track sprinter so I'm accustomed to getting off the line in a hurry. Hopefully this will help some.

·
Glamis Kodiak
7,491 Posts
It can be done with a big turbo(40 psi )at least,and everything dialed in perfect.Your 60 ft. time and the trans clicking off perfect shifts is key.Sounds like your fast.But 7.49 is faster than your set up you have right now.Id talk to Joe at PPE.We were running 7.27 #2 only with a 03 2 door.Its possible, 750 HP is needed to run those 1/8th mile times.And a trans banging perfect shifts.I got in Joes truck right after that 7.27 and with what I thought was a good launch ran a 7.51,Building your boost at the line and not staging the second light until your ready is key.Pull up stage first light,start building boost then inch in and stage second light.And all the big steering components also needed to make it leave with out shaking its head off the line.An E locker helps too.
Good Luck.
Dont race him till youve done some testing,and dialed in your launchs.
Get some time slips and see where your at.Its possible with all the right stuff #2 only.Then of course there's giggle gas, but id stay away from that.One mistake and BOOOOOM.

And 7.49 sounds about right for that monza,Probably true or close to it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Keep up the progress and tell us how it goes. I'd p--s on his tires fer bad luck...

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
philtopgun;1559692; said:
Keep up the progress and tell us how it goes. I'd p--s on his tires fer bad luck...
I will it probably won't be till July or so, but damn I can't wait.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Definatly need to get the track to get some practice time in and at a minumum play with a online reaction timer.

Drop the T bars and ditch the factory shocks. Dont think I would worry about straping the front end. Need to clamp your rear springs at a minimum or go to traction bars. Air down the rears quite a bit. Cut the weight. Read the sticky postsin the drag racing section. Getting a good 60' is key here. You have some power. Especially if he has ran a "best of" he probably wont run that that day.

I would try and cruise down south and hit a track a few times

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i got rancho 9000's and i'm putting on my traction bars come warmer weather. i can't freakin wait.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
set em all the way hard, get the nose down :grd:

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
would it help him to use limiting straps on the front to help with transfer? Just thinking out loud here. I wanna see him hand it to his ****y father-in-law (yes I realize he isn't yet but I didn't know what else to call him). :D

C-ya

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
bogger;1560035; said:
I will it probably won't be till July or so, but damn I can't wait.
You may not beat him, but as long as your close I would say it's a win as you would weigh a ton more than he does...(and remember to point that fact out).

Better yet, have him add balast and see how he does ;)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i think he weighs low in the 3grand range? does that sound right?

·
Registered
355 Posts
bogger;1559463; said:
I met my girlfriends parents for the first time the other night. Well him and (jobless) his son are into drag racing and they have a monza with a 388 ci. The best it ever ran was a 7.49 in the 1/8th.
sorry but that isn't much of a drag car:shake: not to get off track here but fully loaded street cars with a few mods can run 7.50's. hell my wifes last car 7.30's @ 95 in the 1/8th, & that was with the A/C on. and still got 23 mpg.:D

as for the weight difference I'm willing to bet you weigh almost 3 times what that monza weighs, I would say it don't weigh 2300#'s.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I think you need to get to a track and see what you can do before calling anyone out. Go from there and see what you need to add to get there.

Or do you already know ?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no i don't know what i can do yet but like stated before even if i'm on his heels i'll take that. cuz hell when i can drive my truck an hour and a half to the strip, get 18mpg roughly, and either beat him or stay with him that's a victory to me.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Offer to tow him there for added :nutkick: if you beat him ):h

A high 11 drag car is pretty pathetic.

Monzas are lite......especially if its gutted and all that and he has a lit motor(aluminum heads, intake etc) and lite wheels.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
PPE would probably have a solution. Like gasuout said, they ran 7.27, with a stock motor. 7.49 should be pretty close to your setup.

·
Registered
191 Posts
:ro) Hey I have a monza and a d-max lets race withem on trailers HEHEHEHEH. Mines got a 415 stroker mini mouse weve named it the telephone pole magnet If you dont get dizzy from the launch you didnt use the trans brake

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
:exactly: 1000lbs=1 second. Hey wait I had a 11.22 FWD Acura Integra on 'squeezzz' back in 95'. OK It is slow now but not then. ps daily driver...
ratlover;1562991; said:
Offer to tow him there for added :nutkick: if you beat him ):h

A high 11 drag car is pretty pathetic.

Monzas are lite......especially if its gutted and all that and he has a lit motor(aluminum heads, intake etc) and lite wheels.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.