Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my 1997 6.5 turbo diesel a year ago. The other day I was getting on the freeway and she died. Tried to restart and just turned over no start. Started tearing into it and turns out the injection pump was barely hanging on by two loose nuts and one had fallen off. So my question is that since I turned it over with the pump not connected what do I have to do to get it back to running? I have a spare injection pump.

·
Administrator
21,844 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

I would first replace the missing bolts and put everything back together and start testing the injection pump before condemning it for replacement
Install a piece of clear fuel line on the return side of the Injection pump to help locate any air in fuel issues, as shown in this link:
There should be no air bubbles within the line while the truck is running.

Once you get it all bolted back up perform a KOKO procedure to bring the pump in the ballpark for TDCO, as shown in this link: Question: - 1997 6.5 TD

Next, you'll need to verify TDCO with the correct timing software. If you can get your hands on a Tech 2 that would be great.
If not, then you'll need the Car Code, AutoEnginuity PC software and cable or AUTEL® MaxiDAS®, available on the net, all three service GM.
All 3 are very user-friendly, does everything the TECH2 does for engine and transmission test and control. All three connect to the USB port on a laptop computer.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,044 Posts
Yes it should be okay once the mounting nuts are back in place and tightened firmly.Just ensure the injection pump is centered the best you can.

I’ve seen this happen on one occasion years ago on another 6.5 truck.The injection pump was moving back and forth quite noticeably.

Reactions: 56pan and OkDually
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.