Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am about to purchase my new truck. So I have decided on a 04 4x4 Crew Cab Duramax loaded to the gills. My questions is since I have necer owned a diesel before, what are the drawbacks if any over a gasoine truck. What I have seen so far is that one thing is fuel.. Being careful not to buy fuel from places that don't move a lot, since bacteria starts to grow in it an is hell on your motor. I have a turbo Grand National an I am thinking that mods with the Duramax an the GN are on the same concept since they are both turbo. One ???? with the duramax is how loud is it with a straight pipe "no muffler"?? An does it hurt performance..?? Thanks Guys

·
Registered
68 Posts
LOL, looks like another TB.com member is looking for another form of boosted fun.
I'm disco stu over there, and a noob over here (with diesels as well). Anyway, I would also like to hear the replies to your question. Not to pirate your thread, but maybe someone can note the differences between gassers and diesels about maintenence, break in, and some things that a new guy to a diesel might need to know. If there was a diesel for dummies forum I'd be posting there.

EDIT: found this http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2852&PN=1Edited by: highonpsi

·
Registered
242 Posts
OK, guys. Glad to have you here and enjoy your trucks.
Yes, they require more maintenance than a gasser, but mainly with fuel and air. Check the air filter more often and change the fuel filter at 10,000 miles if you don't get a secondary fuel filter. Nick has one at nictane.com

Dmaxallitech has posted a rec maint list check it to see the pmi. http://dieselplace.com/forum/edit_post.asp?PID=28123&PN=1&TPN=1
Good luckEdited by: dieselman

·
Registered
218 Posts
Oh, and don't forget the $6000 injector service at 100,000, whatever GM has up their sleeve on this one. Great truck, power you could never achieve with gas (chipped of course), starts better than a gas truck at 15 below etc.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Its a great truck. Strongly recommend you put a another FF on . I have the CAT filter (2microns) sold in kit form by Nick. Its installed as a primary filter and your OEM becomes a secondary filter. The CAT filter will stop a lot of stuff that normally goes right thru the OEM. Edited by: Bill Gisse

1 - 5 of 5 Posts