Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read and searched but cannot find the answer. If you're adding the Edge J/A and pillar gauges where do you tap for the second Thermo Couple?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have no practical experience for the second tap but...I believe I read in another thread somewhere that some prefer to tap in the driver's side manifold in the same general location as the passenger side tap.

From merely a "thinking about it" standpoint, I can't think of any reason to tap in right next to your original one on the passenger side either. Mine had/has room for 2.

My reason to tap the same side includes the facts that:
1. You're only modifying one manifold
2. Routing of wires is a no-brainer as you did it before
3. Ease of access
4. I can't think of any reason not to tap the same manifold again

My only reason to tap the other manifold:
1. Now you could compare the sides and have 2 separate points of reference.

Hope my $.02 helps...

:grd:

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have an Edge/Attitude and Autometer pillar gauges. I piggy backed the Autometer gauge on the same thermocouple as the Edge. I tried them both separate and together and not enough difference in readings to worry about.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I installed my second thermocouple in the rear of the driver side manifold, straight up from the bottem. I used a tap handle that you can install 3/8 drive ratchet extensions into. I think I needed 12-18" of extensions.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I have an Edge/Attitude and Autometer pillar gauges. I piggy backed the Autometer gauge on the same thermocouple as the Edge. I tried them both separate and together and not enough difference in readings to worry about.

that is what I did. I called EDGE and they told me to do it that way.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know what the two extra wires on the back of the pyro are for. The instructions just say +12v and -12v. I was just curious, amplifier maybe?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The Edge & Autometer pyros are the same thing, but the one from Edge is longer. The black&white wires on the pyro are for the lightbulb, power & ground.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Edge & Autometer pyros are the same thing, but the one from Edge is longer. The black&white wires on the pyro are for the lightbulb, power & ground.
Not the black and white wires, I know what they're for. There is a red and black wire coming out of the bottom of the gauge. I'll take some pics later this afternoon and post them. I though it might be for an amplifier to boost the signal from the thermo couple or to supply power to move the needle.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope... there are studs on the back for the thermo to hook to, my wife is AWOL with the camera, I will get pictures when she returns.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
593 Posts
i would do the 12v to switched or it will say power all the time

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i would do the 12v to switched or it will say power all the time
I was wondering if that was how they kept the gauge reading correctly when the key was off. I would prefer this if that's why it's not a switched 12V

1 - 15 of 15 Posts