Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a couple of 2003 dmax/alli trucks that are in my price range, I will be trading my 03 1500 ext cab Lt 4x4 in on. My truck has 67,500 miles,a nd just about every option you can get. The trucks I found are as follows:

2003 Gmc ext cab 4x4 sle, bose, no steering wheel controls, cloth, 88k miles, I can trade for that truck for about $5000 or less and my truck. This truck is about 220 miles from me.

2003 Chevy ext cab 4x4 LT loaded, 6cd, 117k miles, I can trade for about $3000 and my truck, maybe less. This truck is 900 miles away from me.

I don't mind traveling, but hate going on a wild goose chase, I have seen both trucks in pictures and they both look good. Which do you think is a better buy ? Just looking for some help.:help: Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have found a couple of 2003 dmax/alli trucks that are in my price range, I will be trading my 03 1500 ext cab Lt 4x4 in on. My truck has 67,500 miles,a nd just about every option you can get. The trucks I found are as follows:

2003 Gmc ext cab 4x4 sle, bose, no steering wheel controls, cloth, 88k miles, I can trade for that truck for about $5000 or less and my truck. This truck is about 220 miles from me.

2003 Chevy ext cab 4x4 LT loaded, 6cd, 117k miles, I can trade for about $3000 and my truck, maybe less. This truck is 900 miles away from me.

I don't mind traveling, but hate going on a wild goose chase, I have seen both trucks in pictures and they both look good. Which do you think is a better buy ? Just looking for some help.:help: Thanks,
Mike
It all depends on whether or not you are willing to step down from an LT to an SLE or not. Also, the GMC would still have factory powertrain warranty at 88k miles. Does the Chev have some sort of extended warranty? If only one had extended warranty then that's the one I'd buy. If both had some sort of warranty and the '03 wasn't a chevy (i don't like that style chev personally) then that's the one I'd buy simply because it's a leather and I don't like the cloth ones without steering wheel controls etc.

But it looks like both would be a good buy. Check on the warranty if you haven't already done so.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do like the LT interior, and I can purchase an extended warranty from a friend for around $800 for 4 years unlimited miles. Neither truck has an ext warranty right now. For the price differences at both places, it looks like the chevy is a better buy.
Mike

·
Registered
338 Posts
i would pay a little more and go to an 04 and maybe a C Cl ong or short box for that price i would get warranty thats dam good rate

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
only the engine is under the 100k engine warentee. Remember tho the Dmax has proven itself to be very reliable. The only major issues are injectors, and those are coverd under a 200k mile warentee.

Personally I would go with the LT...cant beat the heated seats in the cold. If you have a funky back, the lumbar adjustment is nice too. As is the automatic climate control (I know some of you will disagree with me on that) and especially the steeringwheel controls. The SWC's are one of my favorite options on teh truck. You get the full DIC and can adjust the radio without taking ur hands off the wheel... JMO

ben

·
Registered
633 Posts
Be careful assuming a certain $ value for your trade. Don't listen to them over the phone. Get something in writing if they have quoted you something for your trade. Don't go expecting a large trade in because they will try to hammer you (esp if they know you drove a long distance for the deal). I have experience here... you don't want to do that. Its easy to say, "if they don't give me what I want, I'll walk", but after you get there after a 900 mile drive, you'll be more inclined to take that "new to you" truck home.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am inclined to take your advice lock, I spoke with the owner of the dealership, he is the one who quoted me the price. The only problem being that I don't want to sign a contract on the deal in case the truck is a pile of you know what when I get there. I wish it was closer, I don't want to waste all that time. Anyone want to be a third party inspector for me? The truck is near St. Louis, Missouri.:)
Mike

·
Registered
506 Posts
That sounds like a heck of a deal. Almost too good to be true. Dealers buy wholesale and sell retail. Something is wrong. Get it in writing. To me this deal doesn't add up.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
I can tell you that trade values are down right now and will be for a while. I think if you drive a hard bargain the will deal with you. You just have to go after what you want. I would get an LT fully loaded, no reason to skimp.. Good luck..

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Just a word to the wise, but If I were you, I would looke for a crew cab. I had an extended cab before this one and I hated it. The suicide doors really suck going to a store. You have to open both doors then you can't get in between you and the car parked next to you. If you don't mind all of this have fun and get one, but make sure it has everything you want so you don't get tired of it.

Good Luck

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an extended cab right now, I don't mind it. Sure I would like a crew cab, but I doubt I could find a deal like this one on a crew. Do you all think that it is really that good of a buy? By the way, I get to take all the goodies off my 1/2 ton, including the wheels, tonneau cover, grille, etc.
Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts