Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spied this block, i think it came out of a 95HD (F) also, its pretty much complete head to toe, front to back, i've looked at the other block threads but not alot of info just about the 929, they figure this one went down from weak compression and was a hard starter, until it didn't start one day, it was pulled and another used one put in. Any more info on this?

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I can tell you thats whats in my 95 hummer - they changed blocks in 96 with the turbos. I haven't seen anyone bashing that block. Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
that is the same block number as your old 95, BTW how cheap is it (LOL) One of the members in Calgary needs an engine
I've put 75kms on my new 929 block and have already did 2 oil changes

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
929 was the real late 94- real early 96 casting, as far as I can tell it is basically the same block as a 599. QM had some info on the 929 awhile back in one of his posts. My 95 SUB has one in it. Seems to be an okay block so far with over 175,000 miles on it, but mine is in diar need of headgaskets.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still waiting on a price, even comes with starter.

·
Registered
100 Posts
that is the same block number as your old 95, BTW how cheap is it (LOL) One of the members in Calgary needs an engine
I've put 75kms on my new 929 block and have already did 2 oil changes
Yep I know him he has a 98 half ton that uses more coolant than diesel :D

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
My '95 has one too. No problems and coming up on 160K miles. No heavy towing but a heavy right foot....

·
Registered
408 Posts
I was always under the impression that the 929 casting number was indicative of a GM Goodwrench engine built in the same era as a 599. Who knows with the general at the wheel though.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep I know him he has a 98 half ton that uses more coolant than diesel :D
Whats the top $ you would cough up for it, i could know the middle of the week how much they want for it and would let you have it instead. No garantee's on if its cracked or not though.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is an update on the numbers of this block. Additional info welcome and if someone else is in need i'm sure we could get it to you instead.

Above the bell housing drivers side 12552929
Above the bell housing passenger side A195
Inside the bell housing back of engine 2F 929 X

OPS is behind the drivers head, top of the bell housing
IP is from another truck DS 5288, no tags on it.

Engine is complete, intake is off, F-engine. No history other than hard starter and weak compression.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
If memory serves me right, I picked up a 929 block that was a warranty take out. I bought it for scrap prices a few years back, when the dealers were changing a lot of them. The block had a lot of wear in the cylinders, looked like oil changes were neglected, but it wouldn't clean up at .020, so I junked it. Probably should have kept it, because if I remember right, the main webs looked good.

CR, I would pull the pan before dropping any cash and make sure the main webs are crack free. From the bottom side, overall engine condition can be seen, based on how clean or dirty it looks and lower parts of cylinders can be seen, however most wear occurs at the top of the bore.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its sitting on a shop floor thats busy with mechanics, they just want it out of there, doubt i can get the pan off where it sits or at that shop. The owner of it has left it there for some time. I'm not going to offer him much for it, was hoping to get it cheap and maybe get lucky once i get it home and pull the pan. I was after info here before i present an offer to him.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
CR, I buy cores from shops and if they won't let me pull the pan and look, I offer them $100 to start, go from there. Sometimes, if they look good on the outside, I'll go $300. Until you, at least, get the bottom end open, it's a gamble! I've junked a few along the way.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sure they would let me remove the pan, problem is its sitting on the floor in a busy shop, i suppose i could pay them to pull it so i could have a look. the way i see it, if its cheap enough i should be able to recover all costs even with a cracked block as it has IP, F Intake, PMD, starter, heads and alot of other useful parts.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
That engine I did for my dad was a 929, it had survived a thrown rod.

·
Registered
100 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts