Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the heck is wrong with the DS driving light. I have seen soooo many trucks with that light burnt out. Well this week mine finally went out. Is this really a big problem or just my imagination? Are there any better bulbs to put in?

TIA!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
easy to change, about 3 minues for both...........I put in amber bulbs this time

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
As we all know bulbs have a finite life span. It may just be that since they are used more than your head lights or turn signals they burn out sooner. Its also kind of hard to tell when you've got one burnt out so people may not notice it and replace them in a timely fassion.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't think you are imagining things...I see the same thing all the time. Mine has gone out twice. I'm pretty sure I saw some LED bulbs on Ebay...Might try those.

·
Registered
612 Posts
There is something up with the wiring on the driverside daytime running lights on GM trucks my 01 would go out for a couple days and then come back on for several weeks and then one day it wouldnt work again. Changed the bulb a few times but it never helped.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had the problem where it would work for a few days and then go out for a few. I pulled the plug off and found that the wires in the plug looked like they had gotten hot and melted into the plastic enough that they were not always getting a connection. I pryed it back out of the plastic got some amber bulbs that don't seem to get so hot and they have been lit up for over a year now. Might check that out if you get a chance.:)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The replacement bulbs are 14V not 12V and seems to have solved the problem.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I was replacing a bulb every couple months. Switched to orange bulbs and haven't replaced one in 7 months - knock on wood!

·
Registered
252 Posts
My 04 has 70,000+ miles on it and I am still running the original daytime running lamps. I have noticed many GM's have one light out, maybe I got lucky and got a good set of bulbs. lol!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sockets and Bulbs

I bought a used 02 and was looking at the service they done on mine after the guy traded it in and it said they replaced both bulbs and sockets. There must have been a issue with the sockets and plugs also. It would probably help to put a dab of Dielectric grease on that and any connection for that matter to help with connectivity and corrosion. It's cheap at any auto place or Walmart.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
IIRC the issue w/sockets, at least on the early ones, was the socket couldn't handle the heat and became brittle.

While the driving lites makes little difference to me, I just can't stand the Ford/Dodge guys pointing and snickering :(

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
DEWFPO;1582927; said:
The replacement bulbs are 14V not 12V and seems to have solved the problem.

DEWFPO
skoryaro2;1583087; said:
I was replacing a bulb every couple months. Switched to orange bulbs and haven't replaced one in 7 months - knock on wood!
What is the brand and part # please. Thanks....

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, I will check mine out tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
ZL-1;1583770; said:
What is the brand and part # please. Thanks....
I don't recall - but it was bought at Auto Zone - whatever they sell. All I did was get the same bulb but the amber one. My theory was less heat build up as my socket is scorched even thoug I use dialetic (sp.) grease.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Doesn't seem that easy to change to me. At first glance I don't see how I am going to get my arm down there with the battery in the way! Maybe I will have to come up from underneath the truck?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I'd try the LED lights, much less heat, much less energy consumed, and ALOT longer life span.
When mine go out I'm going that route.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
dieseldan723;1613378; said:
Doesn't seem that easy to change to me. At first glance I don't see how I am going to get my arm down there with the battery in the way! Maybe I will have to come up from underneath the truck?

Any suggestions?

Are you talking about changing the bulb? If so, it's very easy. IIRC pull the rod out that holds the headlight assembly in. The whole assemble comes out of the grill. Takes about 2 minutes.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
skoryaro2;1613417; said:
Are you talking about changing the bulb? If so, it's very easy. IIRC pull the rod out that holds the headlight assembly in. The whole assemble comes out of the grill. Takes about 2 minutes.
Yes, that is what i was talking about. When I popped the hood it looked like the battery was in the way of getting your arm down to unplug the light. I will look again, thanks!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts