Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some are raving about how the new 6.4psd walked all over a Duramax in a pulling test. (F450 with 4.88's what do you expect)

Here is what I posted at the diesel stop about my encounter yesterday with a new 08 PSD.

"Well, I have my answer on how a 08 Ford 6.4 compares in comparative trim to my GMC/Duramax.

Coming home yesterday up Hwy 281 out of Blanco Texas a white 08 F250 pulling a 26-29 foot wildcat travel trailer. ( I hope he at least waited 500 miles to tow.) I was pulling my 40 foot Grand Junction 5ver weighing in at 15k. I know I will be banned or ridiculed here but this is as close as we will get for a true head to head comparison. That being as the F250 comes with 3.73 gears same as my GMC. As we came out of Blanco texas heading north we got about 8 miles north where the highway goes divided 4 lane. It is also a long 1 1/2 mile uphill not terribly steep but a good pull. I was behind him in the right lane, he saw me signal to pull out, I waited for the car overtaking me and went to the left lane 2 truck lengths behind him in the right. As I pulled alongside he looked over and had a big grinn, my wife berated me cuz she knew what was next. I nailed it, he did the same. Next thing he saw was 23k worth of truck and trailer pulling him to the top of the hill by a complete truck and trailer length, thats 60ft or so. At the top I backed off he came back up along side and at that time would not even look over, not even his wife on the right. (probably told the wife his 50K+ 08 F250 would outpull everything on the road and now she was ticked.

I say this was fair, he was trying his hardest, and he was probably atleast 5k lighter than me. My truck is stock and I am sure his was.

So does anyone here want to own up to that event? You were driving an 08 F250 longbed CC 4x4 white with what looks like the arizona beige lowers and trim and a newer looking wildcat bumper tow. This was about 1:30pm northbound 281. Me I was the GMC/3500 with 40ft trailer passing you. "

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think the diesels have the red vents and the gassers have the black ones.

·
Registered
403 Posts
sherr20;1589009; said:
Me I was the GMC/3500 with 40ft trailer passing you. "
He probably won't forget that any time soon.

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
I'm supposed to try one out next time I'm in Denver for the heck of it. They told me I could even hook my trailer on and try it loaded. I suspect I'll be dissapointed as I have been pulling with 450+ HP :D

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
nice kill i enjoyed reading it

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
A girl I work with just bought one of those new Fords with the twins....I gave her some chit about it beacuse she had been driving her Escalade or her BF's 02 Duramax...she said it was the only truck she liked that wasn't 50k...that she couldn't find a chevy for less than 50k...wonder where she was looking...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ford has adopted Ricer Tech for adding HP ...Gaudy vinyl stickers..ie..."SUPERDUTY"......wow! That should be good for 35-40 hp!

·
Registered
766 Posts
SteveFord;1589545; said:
Can't find your post. Bet they deleted it.
:smashfrea No bashing allowed on that site even if it really happened. Mention anything negative about furd and poof. Yes I can believe a f450 with, what is it, 4.88 gears outpulled a 2500 gm and dodge that have 3.73's. They sure did not line 'em up empty on a straight stretch :eek:: .I bet I can outpull a f450 with a 40 horse diesel with the right gears. Never saw a tractor that needed 300 hp to plow. That was just ford trying to gain ANY marketing advantage they can right now as they are in deep chit if the new superduty does not hold up. I have seen some lame a** commercials from gm also. Just as Sheer20 did, I will let real world comparisons influence where my money goes. Doing my own research before buying one, I pulled the exact same 27" camper with a co-workers 06 lly cc sb(his camper) and we then hooked it to my buddy's 06 F250 cc sb. Both bone stock. Let's just say as much as I like the ford "truck" I bought the gmc. The allison was impressive. My buddy's exact words were "I think I bought the wrong truck". No not my friends, sisters, couisin etc... My closest friend, I can have him log on and post the same. He was a loyal gm owner that traded his 05 chevy 2500 6.0 on the f250 because a friend of ours tows with a 01 PSD 7.3 and his gasser could not keep up and all of our ford friends put down the d-max for the aluminum heads so he bought a ford thinking he was getting the reliability of the 7.3 oops! He takes my truck to the store for beer runs. Gotta love the lbz:cool: .I don't trust any claims coming from any manufacturer. For me the proof is in the puddin'! I can say that so far his is still bone stock and has been fairly trouble free (cosmetic issues) but he want's a programmer to keep up with me but is scared to mess with it. I can forsee a new 07 classic lbz in his driveway as soon as his coworker decides to give him his asking price :D .

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
sherr20;1589009; said:
Some are raving about how the new 6.4psd walked all over a Duramax in a pulling test. (F450 with 4.88's what do you expect)

Here is what I posted at the diesel stop about my encounter yesterday with a new 08 PSD.

"Well, I have my answer on how a 08 Ford 6.4 compares in comparative trim to my GMC/Duramax.

Coming home yesterday up Hwy 281 out of Blanco Texas a white 08 F250 pulling a 26-29 foot wildcat travel trailer. ( I hope he at least waited 500 miles to tow.) I was pulling my 40 foot Grand Junction 5ver weighing in at 15k. I know I will be banned or ridiculed here but this is as close as we will get for a true head to head comparison. That being as the F250 comes with 3.73 gears same as my GMC. As we came out of Blanco texas heading north we got about 8 miles north where the highway goes divided 4 lane. It is also a long 1 1/2 mile uphill not terribly steep but a good pull. I was behind him in the right lane, he saw me signal to pull out, I waited for the car overtaking me and went to the left lane 2 truck lengths behind him in the right. As I pulled alongside he looked over and had a big grinn, my wife berated me cuz she knew what was next. I nailed it, he did the same. Next thing he saw was 23k worth of truck and trailer pulling him to the top of the hill by a complete truck and trailer length, thats 60ft or so. At the top I backed off he came back up along side and at that time would not even look over, not even his wife on the right. (probably told the wife his 50K+ 08 F250 would outpull everything on the road and now she was ticked.

I say this was fair, he was trying his hardest, and he was probably atleast 5k lighter than me. My truck is stock and I am sure his was.

So does anyone here want to own up to that event? You were driving an 08 F250 longbed CC 4x4 white with what looks like the arizona beige lowers and trim and a newer looking wildcat bumper tow. This was about 1:30pm northbound 281. Me I was the GMC/3500 with 40ft trailer passing you. "
giggles laugh that was good. more giggles

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Got a buddy who had been a loyal cummins fan for years, liked to stir his gears so not a threat in a drag race. He built a big boat lift that he put a 18 foot fiber glass boat with a 115hp engine and trailer on it and towed a 30 foot travel trailer. He said his overall weight going down the road was around 22K. He sold that truck and bought a new 06 cummins duely. Tricked it all up, beefed up the tranny, put a set of MPI (Idaho CTD) twins on it, and sold it after 5,000 miles because the seats were too hard. He ordered a 08 Ford 450, it is do to arrive the first of March. For something to drive in the meantime he bought another buddy's 02 dmax ccsb 4x4 that had 40,000 miles on it and was cherry. I talked him into putting the newest PPE tuner on it and he left it at the 90 hp level. Other than that tuner and guages it is bone stock. He bought a new 35' travel trailer and towed it back over the mountains and said it pulled every hill at 60 and EGT's never got to 1200 degrees. He loved this truck but is going to sell it because he feels he can't justify having 80K worth of trucks in the driveway. He paid 26 for the dmax so that means he paid 54 for the Ford. Hope he likes it.:D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, to close the loop I went and test drove a 08 F450 4x2 with 4.88's today. Well be glad you have your Duramax equipped trucks.

Here is my take:

Turn radius, this is awesome on the F450 with its wider axle allowing the wheels to turn 45 degrees.

Interior a great improvement over the previous Superduty interior. Still all the weird angles of the dash are hard to get used to, but it was only a 20 min test drive. Radio is same old Ford flat face double DIN that Ford puts in all their cars, if you dont upgrade to DVD nav, you are getting old stuff, MP3 capable though. Seats, not as comfy as my GMC, but they dont "pop" when going over bumps.

Exterior: Good looking truck, very strong presence, good fit and finish. 19.5 polished aluminum wheels...awesome, came with Continental 225's. Under the hood a nightmare.......aaaaawwwwwwww, make it go away................

How it drove: steering very twitchy, rougher ride than GMC. For having 4.88's it had lack luster acceleration, in a street race to 65 mph my truck would out accelerate it. Of course towing is where it matters. Under hard acceleration, the truck is flat off the idle stop, still very very noticable turbo lag. It also does not shift smooth with hesitation under full throttle. Overall was not impressed with power and its delivery mode. Noise? Our Dmax is quieter at idle, and even at cruise I believe. The Ford you hear no turbo whistle at all, just the ford diesel v8 sound coming from under the hood. When idling, no noise comes out of the exhaust....none.

So there is my test drive report, it was short but I have now exercised my demons and proved to myself I made the right choice coming from Ford, and not waiting for the new 08 Ford before I bought my 07 classic LBZ. I recommend some of you guys go and test drive also, just fun to compare. Overall the LBZ/Alison is still in my opinion the class of the crowd.

Oh, and yes they deleted my post, not even an email from the moderator saying he did. Usually the moderator sends an email when you do somthing out of line. Well I just hope the guy in that white F250 read it before it was censored. Someone knows who he is......so does his wife, she got to watch his 50K plus truck get out classed by the supposed out of date competition.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They "censored" it because it was contrary to their "propaganda" required to continue the "Blue Oval" "Best in Class" superiority mantra..............

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.