Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man... this is frustrating. Took the 'Burb in for PMD failure... Tues Night. Get a call yestarday morning, the guy says "BTW, your oil cooler lines are SHOT... all rotted, and it leaked on our floor" WTF??? I have never seen a drop of oil under the thing! Not to mention... there isnt anything rotted on the Burb... its VERY clean underneath. I told him hell no, I aint paying them to replace them!

He also complained that I left about 1/8 tank of diesel in it. Its not enough for them to test it??? C'mon!! its a 42 (yes 42!) gallon tank? How is at least 5 gallons not enough to test with?? Anyway... he said they were gonna run it up and put $15 of fuel in it (imagine that... less than 5 gallons!!). I replied go for it. Matter of fact, make sure its up to operating temp before ya go. That way when you shut it off at the station, you can 'test' it. I said "I can guarantee you wont make it outta the gas station" :D

So anyway... on to the PMD...

Get a call about 3pm... Stating that they are going to replace the IP (wow, no hassle!!). Now from what I understand of the SB, they had to call the 800# to get approval. Doesnt that start the 'shipping process' on the new pump right there? Isnt it supposed to be sent OVERNIGHT? I just got off the phone with him... he said the parts didnt come in. Whats up with that? I am going to be really pissed if they dont have it back to us for the holiday weekend.

Am I worng in being annoyed???

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Congrats on getting a new pump

·
Registered
368 Posts
nope. for the pmd, if its warranty work, it should be overnight or same day. the rest of it, sounds like they are trying to run up a bill.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You said, "Stating that they are going to replace the IP (wow, no hassle!!)."

They did say they were gonna pay for it right, that it is under warranty. I know my warranty is long expired.

If they are gonna pay for it and install it, hey, I'd tell them, "take a week if ya want, at least I'm not the one paying to lay on my back in the snow." (OK, so ya don't lay on your back to change an IP, but ya get the point)

Does sound like they are trying to make a little extra $$$ though

·
Registered
2008 GMC 2500HD CC SLT , 57,000 miles, Tuned by ATP with DSP 5.
207 Posts
Speaking from experience... It might be a couple of days before you get the truck. It is never as quick as you like. Just be glad you are not paying for it.

Now the downside you should be aware of.
The dealer will not put on a pump even if they have one in stock as GM has a stock of "Special" pumps they put aside for warranty work and you get one of those. IMO these are pumps are second rate. I have had 2 separate instances where the replacement failed right out of the box. One dumped mass fuel into the motor and the other leaked out the top by the optic sensor. The last time the pump failed it was just out of warranty so I ended up buying new from Heath.

Good luck and I hope you don't have the luck I did...

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have been there before!! A few years ago my truck was was stumbling while driving and puffed black smoke when accelerating. Eventually the truck didn't start, so I brought it to the Chevy dealer(this was before I knew about this forum), they took off the IP and sent it to get it tested at a fuel injection shop and it was good, they put in new injectors still wasn't fixed, checked lift pump nothing still, and wastegate solenoid still nothing. So that got me thinking...........the injection pump works, injectors brand new, lift pump working, turbo checks out, what else could it be? Somehow the IP wasn't getting sufficient fuel. I replaced the lift pump shortly after I bought the truck. There was no leak possibly due to the hole between the pump and the tank sucking air and could explain no fuel on the ground. I was 18 years old at the time and obviously the dealership had no clue, I asked them if there could be a hole in the fuel line. After about a month in the shop and alot of money, they changed the fuel lines from the tank all the way to the filter. Then magic the old gal was kickin again. That just shows how knowledgeable dealers are about the 6.5L. Maybe I should let them know about this forum maybe they would learn a thing or two. Just hope my story will show you that your not alone with your frustrating dealership experience.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dont get me wrong, I am very glad its getting done under warranty...

My complaint is more... The new pump is supposed to be sent OVERNIGHT as per the Service Bulletin. It was not. And now, there is a chance we wont have it for the holdiay weekend. This is our MAIN vehicle for the family. The wife really HATES riding in my truck. Its hard for her to get into... .its hard to put the kids in. I also feel they didnt need to pull it apart for diagnosis.... but alas, they did.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Can the dealer loan out another vehicle from their lot while they fix yours?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no, they wont. They said I can rent one though.... (of course)

Just annoyed... there is no reason it should take this long...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
They should give you a loaner, ESPECIALLY if it's warranty work.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ugh.... at least they have the parts now... but the stealer is gonna close for their xmas party at 4pm!!! The mecahnic isnt sure he can get it done!

Man.. the wife might castrate me if she doesnt have her burb for the weekend!

·
Registered
969 Posts
better tell that dealer to get it done right

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DONE!!

Now I gotta figure out how I am gonna go get it!

Thanks for listening...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh yeah... they did charge me $31.71... for fuel... and some conditioner they are REQUIRED to put in??

·
Registered
11 Posts
When they replaced my IP, they made me pay for a fuel system flush. Not all bad, at least I got a "new" IP for free.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Oh yeah... they did charge me $31.71... for fuel... and some conditioner they are REQUIRED to put in??

Glad it all worked out for you! I'm thinking if you could leave the garage only spending $32 bucks....you did really good!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Final report on it... It seems to run a little rougher at idle.... but the rest of the time, it runs TONS smoother, and has noticable more power!

Also..... The mechanic even replaced my zip-tie on the boost sensor!!

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
glad it workded out but any and all associated parts shoudl be covered under warrenty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts