Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled out of the parking lot earlier and saw a little oil spot below, I havnt been under the truck yet, seems to be coming from under the front bumper drivers side, any ideas?

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW tony, that was a fast reply!!!
, dunno looks to be oil, cant see anything from the topside, Im in my nice clothes so I cant go crawlin around under there. Kindof frustating since I only have 5100 miles.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Stop by the dealer where you bought it ASAP,

Ask to speak to the service manager, explain your concern about the leak, ask them to look at it while you wait, maybe just a loose "SOMETHING"

T
NY

·
Registered
444 Posts
Look at your oil filter or oil pan nut. They are are suseptible to tiny drips. They have to be pretty tight. Especially if you changed to 5W-40.

A good way to find a leak is to lay some newspaper on the ground (use small rocks to keep it down) then park the truck with the engine compartment over the newspaper. The next day look at the newspaper and you will see the drips pretty clear. You can even tell the color of the fluid. Then just look above the spot to see what's leaking. Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hey, Rocky, if it's just a little drip and not a steady thing, most likely it is the crankcase breather tube. A tiny rubber hose exits below the water pump. Crankcase exhaust gases leave traces of oil in the hose end where it can sometimes drip out or run down somewhere else, but it is not suppose to be steady or bigger than a dime spot. Most people complain about the smells rather than the drips.

Good Luck

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
As mentioned I'd lean towards the Crankcase vent if it's frontal ....

Mac

·
Registered
78 Posts
Chevysrus, about the oil smell from the crankcase vent. I just took deliverly of my 2004d/a and noticed this very faint (but noticeable to me) oil odor is there any fix to this. I was hoping it was no leak like tranny fluid or eng.oil burning off, maybe we can extend the hose and vent it somewhere else under the vehicle after the firewall?

·
Registered
432 Posts
From previous post some oils smell worse than others. I think someone said Rotella was the worse smelling. I use Delvac 1 and never noticed an odor. The end of my crankcase hose has a wet look, but not much in the way of drips. I suppose you could extend it, but need to be careful to keep it out of the airstream so you don't set up a vacumn or air pressure that would keep it from venting or something like that.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Chalie said:
... about the oil smell from the crankcase vent. I just took deliverly of my 2004d/a and noticed this very faint (but noticeable to me) oil odor is there any fix to this...

Chalie

I always notice the smell for a few hundred miles after an oil change and then it goes away. Since you truck is new it should go away after you get some miles on...

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mine has leaked oil from the rear of the engine since new. Now has 16K miles. Will have it looked at this spring. Does it all the time, hot or cold weather. Never enuf to prompt addition of oil, just always several drops hanging on the backside, and on front of driveshaft.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the input ( I currently have 37 miles on it) I'll see if it goes away in time.. Thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts