Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago when I went to start my truck, glow plug light wouldn't turn off right away. Check engine light stayed on as well. I knew from past experience that it was time for another glow plug replacement.

I know I should've changed them all right from the get go, but I didn't. Plugged in the code reader and it confirmed. P0674 is what I got.

#4 is on the driver side right behind the steering shaft. 8mm is used to take off the nut, and 12mm is used to take out the glow plug.

Glow plug would not loosen. Tried and tried for about 45 minutes. Sprayed WD40 a few times ... to no avail. Did some research and found some people used PB blaster. Time to go to the auto parts store. On the way, I called my local shop to see how much they would charge to replace the glow plug in case I couldn't get it out. $100:jaw drop:

After getting the PB blaster, I got home and sprayed the glow plug and waited for about 5 minutes. Tried it again, nothing. Sprayed some more and waited another 5 minutes. Tried it again and it broke loose. :thumb:

Now, I ask myself "how in the hell am I going to get it out? The steering shaft is in the direct line of the glow plug." Well, unscrew it and try to angle it as much as I can ... sure enough, barely cleared the steering shaft. I applied some anti-seize to the new one and was able to put it in. All done and it really wasn't that bad at all.

I'm so happy that I was able to do it myself without having to resort to taking it into the shop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've also done a few myself and it's a good feeling. I took the steering shaft off which is just 1 or 2 more little bolts. Makes that glow plug much easier going in and out so there are no angles. Mine is an 07 classic so might be different.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
2,582 Posts
Loosening the steering shaft is the best way otherwise you run the risk of snapping the glow plug off. Just be sure when unhooking the steering shaft you tie it off with seatbelt to prevent the steering wheel from turning and thus breaking the SIR coil otherwise know as the clock spring which for the trucks with steering wheel controls just the spring runs about $300.00.

I recently gave up on PB blaster and purchased a Reusable Refillable Multipurpose Aerosol Spray Bottle and use a 50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid just have to be careful where you use it, lacquer thinner can be substituted.

https://app.aws.org/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=32013

Amazon.com : 16oz Reusable Refillable Multipurpose Aerosol Spray Bottle and Spray Tip Set : Lawn And Garden Sprayers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

·
Registered
87 Posts
Looks like #5 has failed. My first @ 61k. Is it better to change glow plugs after warming engine up?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Definitely, warm, not hot. And don't fail to use anti seize on the new plugs.

Reactions: IGO1320

·
Registered
113 Posts
50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid if what i've used for a while now to get glow plugs out, but if your not an experienced with chemicals or you forget things then use PB blaster. if you do try this mixture then only use enough don't sit there spraying it all over the place and when it breaks free use brake cleaner and wash it all OFF.

and this works really good on the uppipe to manifold bolts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yea, I've got to do #4 and #6. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
113 Posts
let em soak, the longer it soaks the better the chance it will let go!

·
Registered
87 Posts
After hearing several horror stories was able to change all 8 no problems in just under 2 hrs. #2 was hardest due to intercooler tube. With u joint and half deep well socket was no need for removing steering shaft or ic hot tube although some concern on not being inline perpendicular figured I couldn't put much torque with a short handle 1/4" drive ratchet. I changed cold figuring aluminum expands more than the steel making fit tighter. Sprayed pb let engine warm up. Sprayed again. Let cool over night to wick in. Removing wheel wells seems to take the most time although much better than in sub zero degrees and snow packed with gelled filter and the o ring gasket from hell. Now to find some frozen fasteners on something to try the acetone trans fluid on. Thx all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
After hearing several horror stories was able to change all 8 no problems in just under 2 hrs. #2 was hardest due to intercooler tube. With u joint and half deep well socket was no need for removing steering shaft or ic hot tube although some concern on not being inline perpendicular figured I couldn't put much torque with a short handle 1/4" drive ratchet. I changed cold figuring aluminum expands more than the steel making fit tighter. Sprayed pb let engine warm up. Sprayed again. Let cool over night to wick in. Removing wheel wells seems to take the most time although much better than in sub zero degrees and snow packed with gelled filter and the o ring gasket from hell. Now to find some frozen fasteners on something to try the acetone trans fluid on. Thx all.
right on dude, i've also heard of guys getting the engine up to temp and spraying with pb blaster and then putting ice cubes or dry ice on the tip of the plug to make it contract and give room between treads to get the PB in there, no idea if it helps but the theory makes sence

·
Registered
87 Posts
Definitely, warm, not hot. And don't fail to use anti seize on the new plugs.
x2 pull the wheel well the night before & spray, warm up before pulling. done 3 now all cracked loose fairly easy. :HiHi:

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
The problem with all penetrating solutions, bought or made, is they all work far better if you put them on at least 24 hours before needed. Of course that's a problem if you're stranded along side the road and trying to get a rusted bolt out, but for something like glow plugs, there's no reason why you can't spray it a day ahead of time, or even better, spray it every day for a few days before hand.

Reactions: Hey Pap

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I have had crap luck with some of my plugs. The screw rotted to the wire and broke off the end of the connector forcing me to re-splice things.

Also bought Merchant's glow plug tool which is an air hammer. I had a few stuck even after using PB blaster for a week. Merchant's tool worked very well. Put it on a few times and it loosened the plugs for me.

I would take the price of the Merchant Auto tool anyday ($55) versus breaking one off and spending likely 1/2 that on easy outs and such plus all the labor to drill away at it.

I live on highly salted roads and I'm actually surprised that more plugs don't break off on people motor up here in the North East.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts