Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant beilieve this crap ! I just foud out my 03 chevyys got the cat and egr...if i knew then what i know now i would have shopped for one without all that junk. like a dummy...it was probably on the sticker ...but i was so hyped about getting a dmax i probably paid no attention...we do have the option of without those emission parts here in southwestern nh. in other parts of the state as well as mass. theyre required.

th $64 question is ..how much a difference does it make in the longevity of the engine....dont they run dirtier with egr??..

ps ..this strong cuervo margarita is either gonna calm my nerves or i'm gonna kill somethin'

thanks for any input, bobEdited by: bob camire

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well I'd imagine your oil would get sooted up a lot quicker requiring more frequent oil changes. But it'll be better for the environment
The oil in my Jetta tdi w/ egr looks pretty damn nasty after a few hundred miles while the Dmax looks a dark brown after 3500 mi. The last 1000 miles have also been with the Quad on 110hp.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stizo..thanx for the reply..while i was writing, i was thinking that its a good thing i like to change oil frequently...i just di mine this week after appx 3k miles..the oil was ddirty and the oil in the filter was sh*t. coincidently i was thinking about my bros new golf diesel..he told me they recommend castrol synthetic and tell him not to come back til at least 5k miles..thanks again, bob

ps i guess everythings going egr in cluding the big trucks, as Ronald Reagan use to say WHELLLLLLLLLL

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bob I will be picking up my 04 duramax at Banks Chevrolet this week. Its good to see someone else in NH on this page.

Brett

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
On my TDI, I changed the EGR valve. You can do this with the Vagcom computer program...

Next time I change, Ill see how long it takes to blacken...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Our opinions are shaped by things we experience and learn. In the case of the EGR ~ its from gassers. While I could be wrong ~ I'm uncertain its a such an issue on a diesel.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I had read a while back that it's not so good on US diesels due to high diesel soot (US diesel quality?) and other chemical such as acids, IIRC. This all gets fed back into the engine and even tends to clog the EGR over time.

On the otherhand, '02 California Dmax's had EGRs and I don't think I've ever read of a complaint.

·
Registered
473 Posts
From what I have heard and all the LLY Duramax's have the Cat & EGR. And only the LB7's built for Claifornia had them. I had a 1984 Buick Century with a 4.3 Diesel in it that had a EGR>Edited by: BIGMoe

·
Registered
663 Posts
bob camire said:
..how much a difference does it make in the longevity of the engine....dont they run dirtier with egr??..

Bob,

I wouldn't wory about it. As BigMoe pointed out the California LB7's had the egr and they seem to run just as well as the non EGR LB7's. The only disadvantge to the EGR is that is clutters up the engine compartment a little more. Also regarding oil & soot, I believe that's one of the reasons the newest CI-4 spec for Diesel oil was developed. It supports the added load on the oil from the new EGR equipped diesels. Just use a good quality CI-4 rated oil along with a good good filter and enjoy your new ride!

Edited by: jbplock

1 - 9 of 9 Posts