Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on a diesel specific forum and I thought I would ask a couple of questions. I ordered my Duramax 2500HD CC LB last month and it was born on 11/24/03. Delivery should be around mid December. I have been doing some research on diesel engines because, as the subject of this post indicates, I have never owned one and know virtually nothing about them. So far I have heard that maintanance can be expensive do to having to replace all the filters. Specifically the filter on the Allison tranny which costs about $95.00. I have been told that it should be changed with every oil change at 3k miles. Has anybody else heard this and actually do this. the other thing that I have been told is to upgarde the fuel filter. It seems that the Nicktane CAT filter is one of the best options. Would you all agree? Does this filter also include a water trap. I have been told that less reputable gastations tend to have a higher concentration of water in their fuel which can cause injector problems. My uncle, who is a service writer at Pearson Pontiac,GMC Oldsmobile told me that the only issue that he has seen with the Duramax is injector problems. My guess is that it is do ue to people not using the higher grade gas stations. Would it be a good idea to look into an after market water trapping system if one exists or again is that part of the Nicktane fuel filter system?

I guess that is it for now.

Thanks in advance to all,

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
"Specifically the filter on the Allison tranny which costs about $95.00."

Might want to look here only $9.00

filters

I have the Nicktane and am very happy with it.

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
369 Posts
I get my allison filters $9.00 from Eric. my guess is someone misread the price or a typo, it was probably $9.50, Not $95.00 they are all over EBAY for under $15.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Regarding water see Georgecls comments in this thread: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2136&KW=Georgecls because you will probably want to use an additive.

I don't belive the Nicktane contains a water separator but the OEM set up has a WIF sensor. The right additive and the OEM should more than handle water issues unless you get way too much of the stuff from a bad tank. It's the extra filtration that you want from the Nicktane or others.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
1BIG4X4

Change the spin on On the Allison at 5k ..... Retain the ring magnet wipe clean and reuse ..... It will be found attached (stuck) to the top of filter or base of mount stuck to threads ....

Change at 25,000 after that as recommended .... Your decision to add better filtering capabilities is good .... The Nicktane setup has proven to be a good polisher as others I'm sure ..... The OEM filter will trap water, that and a good additive will emulsify also .... Always when possible use a high volume diesel station ....

Good luck and we'll all do our best to answer your question .... Enjoy your first diesel .....

Mac

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey everyone,

Thank you very much for all the feed back. I really appreciate it. I have one more question about the fuel filter. If I replace the stock fuel filter with the Nicktane product do I lose the water trapping capabiities of the OEM system. My neighbor and I have been doing alot of research as he has also purchased the Duramax. We came across the Vormax cyclone filtration system which seems to have a pretty trick water trapping system. he has been trying to find out if the CAT filter will fit directly onto that unit. If so and if there is room for the unit on our trucks, that is probably the way we will go.

Thanks again,

Mike Miller

1 - 8 of 8 Posts