Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric,
Armed with JK’s excellent high idle instructions, and a super nice high idle wire harness supplied by one of Michigan’s finest DMAX mechanics, I hit the garage a few weeks ago to get things going on my 2003 GMC D/A. Figuring that getting the wire through the firewall would be the hardest task, I spent most of the morning getting it through the grommet, and dressing things up. The last task was connecting to the ECM. I unbolted the first connector from the ECM, and went to do the last (which has the pin 71 on it). It would not screw out of the ECM! Either the factory boys cross-threaded it, or the threads have seized onto the bolt. I worked at trying to get it out for over an hour, and gave up. If I try and turn any harder, either the connector bolt will break, or it will back all the threads out of the ECM. Its one of those situations where you know you are better off to leave things alone, rather than force them (at least for me).

My question is this. The truck is almost new, and am almost certain that I am the first to work on the ECM connector, so I’m 99% sure something happened to the connector bolt at the factory. If I bring this to the attention of my local GMC dealer, I’m concerned he’ll accuse me of being somewhere that I should not be. Is there a proper way to handle this seized bolt from a warranty perspective?

Edited by: Roegs

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Hmm, interesting problem to say the least. I would get some good pentrating oil, a socket and a small hammer.. spray some oil on the bolt, being that its sealed, it might do no good.. put the socket on the bolt and give it a bunch of taps with a hammer, this should loosen the bolt if its seized. It will come loose eventually. As far as a warrenty concern goes.. depends on your dealer. I would call the svc mgr and let him know exactly what your doing and explain the situation. The high idle is nothing that can void your warr as the pcm is set up for it anyways. Your just making it work

Eric

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Eric...I've got a few days off this week, so maybe I'll go over to the local dealer and see what he says.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
You know Scott, a quick trip to G-Rap this weekend for Diesel day and we could take care of that high idle wire problem of yours!

Eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts