Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the Hypertech tuner for the Duramax ? I'm curious how it compares with the Predator, Juice, Superchips, etc...

Question : When a tuner adjusts the speedo for tire size increase, are adjustments made for trans shifting and Anti-lock brakes ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a Hypertech on my '03 at first, but I tried a Predator like it better. The Predator offers more power, diagnostics, and the ability to change speed limiter and tire sizes. I haven't had a chance to compare EGT's, but I will soon as soon as I can get my gauges ordered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Hypertech but don't have a lot of experience yet as I've barely cracked 1k miles. The installation was very simple..asked which level you wanted (50, 70, or 90 hp I believe) and tire size. It's supposed to recalibrate speedo but I don't believe it adjusts the shift points yet like it can for earlier models-not sure about the ABS. There are a ton of folks on here more knowledgeable than me.

I just wanted to recalibrate for 285s so I'm running the most conservative setting right now- I got the tires the same day as the programmer so I'm kinda curious to see how the truck runs without the hypertech for comparison purposes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you had a chance to measure the EGTs with the Hypertech? Any while towing?

·
Registered
129 Posts
As soon as my pillar pod comes in, I will compare against the Hypertech and the Predator. My gauges are in, just not the pod mount.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed a pinnacle 4" exhaust system and the hypertech power programmer. So far I have only run with it in level three. WOW! It turned a 7000lb. plus truck into a rocketship. I also drove 650 miles with the cruise set at 75mph plus and got over 21mpg. Even if it doesn't help pulling the 5th wheel which I expect it will, I'm extatic. For $299.00 or less you can't go wrong. You might get more power and torque with other chips like the juice, but unless you need to be the fastest guy in town, this is the way to go.

2001 GMC 2500 HD D/A 4" exhaust Hypertech Power Programmer III

·
Registered
17 Posts
IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SPEND A LOT OF MONEY , AND JUST WANT TO POLISH UP YOUR TRUCK'S PERFORMANCE HYPERTECH IS GREAT.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Does the Hypertech let you read and reset codes or is it a programer only??

·
Registered
46 Posts
It only lets you set different performance tunes and adjust speedo for tire size. For the money it does a good job.

When you first begin entering the hypertech tune it does say it is checking for trouble codes. I didn't have any so I don't know what it would do if any were detected.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sporto, did you try the hypertech at all by itself? i.e. without the 4" exhaust? Anyone else have experience on a stock struck (2003-4) with just the Hypertech?

Thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
mjohnson97045 said:
Have you had a chance to measure the EGTs with the Hypertech? Any while towing?

I just towed (about 10k) with mine for the first time. The EGT didn't seem to get above 800. I was towing on pretty much flat freeway, at about 55mph

·
Registered
17 Posts
I RAN MY HYPERTECH WITH STOCK EXHAUST FOR ONE MONTH AND HAN NO PROBLUMS ON STAGE 1 OR 2. I NEVER TRIED 3 B/C I DONT HAVE TEMP GAUGE. EVERY THING WOKE UP WITH EXHAUST.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been running the Hypertech Power Programmer III on my 2001 with factory exhaust for four months. The only other tuning mod I have is a K&N air filter. I drive 1200 miles a week and had 80K on the odometer when I installed it.

You will notice a definite improvement over stock with the HPP III on any of the three settings. I have 37" tires, so the speedometer/tire correction and increased power really helped. Initially, my truck had 5 DTC's and the programmer requires you to clear them from the trucks computer before programming.

After 6K on the HPP III, I had three injectors fail. I don't know if the failure was related to the HPP III or not, as I did have 86K and was not running a secondary fuel filter. Today I ordered a Nictane kit and I hope it solves the injector problem.

I am still going to run the HPP III, 'cause I really, really like how the truck runs on the 90 HP setting! Twice I've raced my brother in his '03 powerstroke (6.0) and smoked him by at least two truck lengths by 80 mph. I regularly drive 90 mph on the highway for 60 minutes at a time with no increase in temp.

Has anyone else has had injector failures after installing the Hypertech?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts