Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a used Hypertech Max Energy programmer off kijiji for $220 after seeing really good reviews on this product. I loaded up the level 2 tune and went for a drive.

The programmer drives and shifts really smooth. You really start to notice the power after the 2000 rpm range and up. There is no additional engine noise at all. It runs pretty clean as well, it leaves a trail of light smoke when around 3/4 throttle + and a puff off the line.

After a few days of driving on the level 2 tune, I loaded up the level 3 tune for fun. On the past threads I've been on a lot of guys say, "put it on level 3 and forget about it" I didn't really notice a change, it smoked a lot less and felt like it had a bit more top end power.

I dropped it down to level 2 and I'm going to leave it there. Overall the programmer runs extremely smoothy and shifts really good for a canned tuner. I would give this tuner a chance, there are a ton of these for sale, all fairly cheap to get.

Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
280 Posts
I also have the max energy programmer,stock and on level 1 and 2 everything works correctly, but on level 3 the transmission takes a long time to shift from 3rd gear to 4th gear at all pedal positions, all other gears it shifts fine. I downloaded the updated program hoping it would fix the issue, but no luck. I guess level 2 is where I am stuck.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I also have the max energy programmer,stock and on level 1 and 2 everything works correctly, but on level 3 the transmission takes a long time to shift from 3rd gear to 4th gear at all pedal positions, all other gears it shifts fine. I downloaded the updated program hoping it would fix the issue, but no luck. I guess level 2 is where I am stuck.
Change your fuel filter, filters that are plugging up can cause delayed shifts.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I dont think the fuel filter would make the trans shift like that, only on the 3rd to 4th gear. I only have the problem when on level 3, its must be something in the tune the trans dislikes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
max energy

I also have a max energy tuner that I really like. I did not experience any shifting problems but I noticed better fuel milage on number 2 setting than on any other setting and it seems to have good power output on #2, I am a little nervous about level #3 power output and maybe limping or damaging my tranny. Maybe someone else with more experience can comment on this.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I also have a max energy tuner that I really like. I did not experience any shifting problems but I noticed better fuel milage on number 2 setting than on any other setting and it seems to have good power output on #2, I am a little nervous about level #3 power output and maybe limping or damaging my tranny. Maybe someone else with more experience can comment on this.
We get this question a lot. There are a lot of tunes out there for these trucks that are not safe to use on a stock tranny.

Hypertech tunes are developed on Superflow AWD chassis dynos with custom "tuned" software that allows for dynamic loading of the power absorber. This gives us the ability to simulate actual vehicle weight, including towing weight, aero drag, and road grades. Our Stage 3 tune is engineered within the limits of what the stock Allison transmission and drivetrain can safely handle under these loaded conditions.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts