Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 18 months a Chevrolet Service Manager finally found why my truck would stop running and go into failsafe. For those who have read my previous posts, I ultimately filed a legal claim against Chevrolet because of my problems. They responded by reimbursing me for all my money spent and got me to a service manager, Bill Huntington at Security Chevrolet in Vista, CA.

What a great guy to work with. My truck was diagnosed with a fuel pressure regulator problem, that would only show up upon extreme demand for pressure like towing a heavy load up hill, or something that boosts fuel pressure such as with hypertech. Although GM covered the warranty, they believe and so does the service manager, that the Hypertech may well be the problem. They admit the fuel pressure regulator is installed in such a way as to ultimately wear and cause problems, but not like mine had. Either way, I have not had the problem for more than 3 weeks of towing to the desert. Before it would happen everytime I towed to the desert 3 or 4 times.

I certainly would caution anyone about the Hypertech issue, and look for one of the other hp products such as Edge. I plan to purchase one and install it and relegate the Hypertech to the Trash Bin. But if someone wants one, free of charge, they can email and have it free for the cost of shipping.

For all, if you are having some unusual problems with the engine losing power and they regaining power after a few seconds, or some other problem somewhat related to this, have your fuel pressure regulator looked at, and if necessary contact the service manager listed above.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I didnt think the hypertech increases fuel pressure..I thought the only way to do increased pressure was with a module...color me ignorant. Edited by: Wickedsprint

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
thorco69

Have you had any problems with Idle ,cold or hot in the 01 ??

Mac

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mac,

No the only problems I have had was the loss of power. I was originally told that the trans was in fail safe, which is why I went the ATS route, and then restored it back to factory and have had no problems. My truck has 50,000 miles, with 25,000 towing up and down mountains with a load of approx 11-12000 lbs. Other than the fuel pressure issue, I have had very few minor problems.

Thorco

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thorco, did you actually find out if the hypertech raises fuel pressure, or are you just assuming, I was not aware that the fuel pressure could be done with a reflash programmer like the hypertech. Where did you get this information?? If it is true, this would not be the first time I am wrong.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hypertech DOES NOT raise fuel pressure, I just got off the phone with a tech, please stop sending out bad information to our members.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Easy Wicked I'm sure he's going but he was told .... A few tuners have said that they don't raise rail pressure,some just wont dissclose .... Did you ask if they raise it but with in the desired maximum pressure ??

============================================

Thor

The reason I ask is the first sign of a bad FRPV is a HOT lopey idle ..... The 01's are known for it and mine seems to be getting worse ...

Mac

·
Registered
962 Posts
They said specifically that thier tuner does NOT raise pressure..like at all. He could not say what it does because they are not allowed, but he knows for a fact they don't raise the pressure. I just get upset when bad information is given out and to most people they probably take it as fact and that is how rumors get started. Kind of like people saying the dmax willhave headgasket issues because it has aluminum heads.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To Wickedsprint,

If you would have bothered to read any of my other posts, about the hypertech ATS, or the problems I am having, I do not offer opinoins, I only state what has been told to me or I have seen for myself. I am a very successful businessman who went after GM to back of their product and stuck with it. My many telephone calls to hypertech were of no help either. I did receive many e-mails from diesel mechanics telling that they would not use hypertech either because of the same problems. I am not saying do not use hypertech, I am only letting people know for information purposes so they can have all the facts before they may make a decision.

But to set the record straight, I saw the fuel pressure readings with and without the hypertech, and the pressure was significantly higher with the hypertech. I don't care what they say, or how it is done, it in fact did it on my truck.

What I find offensive is the kind of childess response from you, as if you are the last word on a subject and are 100% correct. I also just love your statement it would be the first time I was wrong, as far as I am concerned, that is just sheer arrogance, and the kind of attitude which keep people like me off of these websites. Needless to say, I would put no merit in anything you say, as arrogance just shows a closed mind.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
My brother has a 1500HD 6.0L gasser and he had the hypertech installed on his truck and it was nothing but problems from day one. Not sure what all it was doing, but truck would not start sometimes and would just die, then it was idleing funny, ligths and turn signals did strange things. He took it out and all was fine. They would hook it up to the Tech 2 and it would show tons of errors, then they would uninstall the programmer and nothing. Go figure.

·
Registered
962 Posts
TRhorco, before you sound even MORE childish, I said it would NOT be the first time I am wrong, go read it again, reading comprehension owns you, I guess now we see why our communication has broken down..you easily jump to conclusions, don't be so fast to react there partner. And the postw as NOT edited, if so you would see the edit tag on the bottom, like you do THIS one, and NOT the one where you failed to read it. I hope you run your business better than you read.Edited by: Wickedsprint

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Easy there killer....

Please do not take this the wrong way , but I would have to stand behind thorco and his posts. Every post I have read has been nothing but intelligent and to the point. That is what's great about these boards...you can use the information, you can store the information, or you can just throw the information away!

He has given our group some good information...and has fought hard against GM.

This is just MHO

Happy trucking

·
Registered
962 Posts
He called me arrogant without actually taking the time to read what I wrote and then got pissy when I called him out on bad information, I am happy he does well for you. Granted I might have been better off using a bit more tact, but his response was not justified. Edited by: Wickedsprint

·
Registered
60 Posts
So let me get this straight. GM told thorco that the Htech was the cause of his problems. He sues them and now comes to the same conclusion that an aftermarket product he added is the problem and he's still proud of himself.

Another 01 with programmer problems?

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I am still not sure how all of this ties together?

I am confused.

1. What was the symptom?

2. Did the symptom accur while the truck was in stock configuration?

3. What part had to be changed to alleviate the symptom?

BTW I have been following this saga from the begining and am now more confused then ever.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let me try and set the record straight.

First off, I owe an apology to Wicketsprint, as I did misread his statement about being wrong. I was wrong and I apologize.

First off I have never had any kind of problem with my truck until I installed the hypertech.

What would happen is that under a load towing the engine would loose power and after a few seconds when the rpms would drop and the demand for fuel pressure the engine would start to run again. On a trip to the desert about 110 miles from my house, this would happen about two to three times going out and coming back. Initially this only happened when towing. Towards the end this would happen without towing.

A savy service manager noticed that while at idle the fuel pressure regulator was acting funny with pressure spikes and drops outside of the norm. He explained to me, that in the DMAX if the fuel pressure is boosted the power is boosted resulting in an overboost situation and the engine literally shuts down until the demand for fuel drops to normal.

When we took readings without the Hypertech, fuel pressure was less than with the Hypertech. These recordings were done using a data recorder over several weeks and several printouts. Ultimately the fuel pressure regulator was replaced and so far my problem has been solved, one that has been going for more than a year.

I did not sue GM for warrantee issues, I sued for their lack of concern and sluffing me off, always blaming it on aftermarket parts. I don't disagree that this could be a coincidence with the fuel pressure regulator and hypertech, only that it appears that way, and both GM and the service manager, whom I have come to trust, believe it was from Hypertech.

GM covered all of the costs because they could not prove it was Hypertech according to the way the law is written. This does not make GM wrong or Hypertech wrong. Others have written about Hypertechs problems, and I am only writing about another one.

The purpose to state it again, was to give everyone information so should they have the same problems, or some problem like mine that couldn't seemed to get fixed to look at the fuel pressure regulator. Also make sure you do your homework with the Hypertech and find out about other owners problems. Knowledge is power.

Again, I apologize to Wicketsprint, I just didn't like being accused of supplying misinformation. I will not make the same mistake twice. I appreciate everyones help and input on my DMAX issues.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mackin,

You may well have a fuel pressure regulator problem, as you can see from my readings at idle found by the service manager. I know you are very well versed in the DMAX issues, I just wanted to make it clear that is is the fuel pressure regulator and not the fuel rail valve. The pressure regulator is a rather difficult part to install according to the dealer.

Thorco

·
Registered
962 Posts
I apologize for not having any tact initially manno, I am however glad your truck runs well and I should have recognized your initial reason for the post was to try and help people, so from me to you,

I'm sorry :) -Tony

1 - 20 of 25 Posts