Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SBC single disk organic. Has been working great! Today down by Columbus, OH while bobtailing in rush hour traffic, I missed a shift. The clutch got worse as I got closer to home, 2 hours away. The last 10 minutes of the drive I was without a clutch. I even had to drive around the block a few times waiting on a train.

I think I just need to bleed the hydraulic clutch. Does anyone have a good method for doing this.

Any other ideas also would be helpful.

Thanks HandShakers.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It does

Thank you!

Now to find a Mity Vac and the adapter on a Saturday will be the trick. If I can find the pump I think I can Jerry Rig an adapter.

the only thing that bugs me is I have been driving 20,000 miles since I replaced the clutch and all. Why now?

When it went out it went slowly like a leak. The reservoir is still 3/4 full. I am assuming bleeding will corect it.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
well i know if dad's pu get warm pulling a hill with a load on behind when you go to push the clutch pedal down there is nothing to compress , and the pedal just goes to the floor. we have the same clutch set up i believe. i think it is the fluid in the slave cylinder boiling. try it after it cools off overnite and see how it feels. make sure and use the dot 4 fluid. dot 3 is compatible but brings the boiling point down.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I had that

with my stock clutch setup. I have never had a stiff pedal with the SBC. That and I didn't have a load so I don't think that is it but thanks.

BTW, Chevy replaced my fluid with DOT 4 back at 35,900 it was slipping and heating up and they had a tech bulletin to do so. I have ran it since.

Here in 20 minutes my parts store opens I'll get the vacuum pump and see what is up.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
let us know how it works out for you. i went in to my local chev dealer and he kept pushing dot 3 and i kept telling him he was wrong and they said that is what they used when servicing . i nicely told them they were incorrect and showed them the owners manual and the lid off the clutch master cylinder res. and they looked at me like i was from mars. never heard of such a thing. have the dealership show you the dot 4 container. the parts people told me it wasn't availible either. bought mine right here online.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dampening spring retainer plate let loose

I have a couple PM's out to see if I can get one tomorrow, if not Monday.

Why does crap like this always happen on a weekend:mad:

I am supposed to go to PA then NY monday.

I'll post pics later tonight. Don't have my digital camera with me.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Pics

Guess this one needs moved to the after market ZF forum

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
You said originally that you missed a shift. Did it do anything else? I wouldn't have bet that it would have come apart...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope

I wasn't even loaded or even really hammering on it. Suprised me when I got it apart. I was expecting a bad throwout bearing, concentric or what ever it is called now days.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Dogface,

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but thanks for posting this. What are your next steps? Are you going to stay w/ an SBC unit?

Missing a shift sure as h3ll didn't cause this...

Bill

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I will work with SBC

and the dealer that I purchased it through.

From all that I have read and heard SBC backs their stuff.

Hopefully I can get it back together tomorrow

·
Registered
173 Posts
Keep us posted; would like to hear what happens.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got it back together yesterday

I went to SBC, met Peter and he squared me away.

Replaced the clutch and the pressure plate and gave me a deal I couldn't refuse on a dual disk setup.

I bought and installed the dual disk so now I have a "new" single disk setup for sale any interest?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Dogface1SG;1606658; said:
I went to SBC, met Peter and he squared me away.

Replaced the clutch and the pressure plate and gave me a deal I couldn't refuse on a dual disk setup.

I bought and installed the dual disk so now I have a "new" single disk setup for sale any interest?
$?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PM sent

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good news. Peter give any opinions/insight as to the cause of the failure?

Is the new clutch the sprung hub DD?

You know the drill: you have to post your experiences with the new clutch. :)

Bill

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wreckingball;1609590; said:
Good news. Peter give any opinions/insight as to the cause of the failure?
wreckingball;1609590; said:

Is the new clutch the sprung hub DD?

You know the drill: you have to post your experiences with the new clutch.

Bill

Not really, he did say he had one other do the same thing. The only thing I can figure is possibly slipped on ice then grabbed a bite.

Yes it is the new style.

So far it is what I expected. A little "grabby" and my biggest problem that Peter and I spoke of, reverse. I have a 2WD, no 4 LOW to reverse in. Empty is not a problem, loaded with a trailer is like no slip, let it out and go!!!! Better have lots of room and react fast.

I have been considering building a gearbox for my truck for some time. I like the gear vendor but it is hard to justify the $$$$$ That and I don't need to split gears while shifting. I want to make a gearbox that is engaged while you are sitting still in neutral that will have a 3 range selection, 25% increase, 1 to 1, and a 25% decrease. This way when hauling use 1 to 1, when backing a trailer 25% decrease (or depending on how you are looking at it could also be called an increase, basically slower) and 25% increase when bobtailing. I have a decent idea of how to do it in my mind from machinery I have been around. My biggest concern would be how much heat it will generate. I know how to make it sturdy enough, and think I could mount it where the carrier barring is. Just gotta get some time and do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts