Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I had the driver's side, wheel well liner off on Saturday, I noticed an oily deposit on the wheel well liner and other components down low on the engine. The stuff was clear and had no discernable odor. I traced it back to the brake fluid reservoir and hydra-boost on the firewall. It looks like it has been dripping for a while. I haven't had to add any fluid to either the brake reservoir or the power steering; however, there's no doubt something is leaking fluid. I think I can eliminate brake fluid because it doesn't smell like brake fluid and it doesn't cut the paint like brake fluid will do. I took the truck in yesterday expecting the service manager to confirm the hydra-boost was leaking and make an appointment to have it fixed. Instead the service manager said they cleaned the area and that the hydra-boost wasn’t leaking. They aren’t going to do more unless they can confirm the unit is actually leaking.

My concern is that the warranty period is up in December and I don’t want to foot a bill next April that should have been fixed now under the warranty. Any thoughts on this one?

Edited by: tbrowne

·
Registered
626 Posts
I had mine replaced at 9000 miles and was told it was a fairly common problem. After the warranty is up this is like a 400 to 500 dollar fix.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
I would say keep an eye on it and make sure you take it back as soon as you notice it is doing it again. Also keep your service record from taking it in this time and when and if it is out of warranty and you have an issue and they determine that the hydra boost was the problem then present the old service record and saw, see I brought it in under warranty and you did nothing, now fix it for free. I had a similar issue several years ago and my truck was just about out of warranty. Problem occured a month after and they still fixed it because I had the old paperwork about the same problem when it was in warranty. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Keep this in mind when you have a booster leaking........
<H1>Power Steering Fluid Leaking at Hydraulic Brake Booster - kw leak assist oil no hard noise #PI00823A - (03/11/2004)</H1>

Power Steering Fluid Leaking at Hydraulic Brake Booster

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms. <A name=ss1-1470708><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1470708&psdid=437&evc=sm#ss1-1470708" target="_blank">
<H5>Condition/Concern:</A></H5>

You may find power steering fluid leaking out of the front of the hydraulic brake booster. The hydraulic brake booster is filled with power steering fluid and tested after assembly. During this test procedure power steering fluid can leak onto the hydraulic brake booster and is not cleaned off after the test procedure is completed. Once the brake booster is installed on the vehicle, the power steering fluid left on the outside of the brake booster will run down and collect at the bottom of the booster. This fluid may lead you to believe the hydraulic brake booster is leaking fluid and thus lead you to an unnecessary replacement of the booster. <A name=ss2-1470708><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1470708&psdid=437&evc=sm#ss2-1470708" target="_blank">
<H5>Recommendation/Instructions:</A></H5>

When diagnosing a leak around the hydraulic brake booster, you should clean any power steering fluid off the booster. Then add power steering dye to the system and use a black light to check for leaks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I swiped my index finger under the unit at noon today and it was wet from fluid. They shouldn't have any problem finding the leak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts