Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who here is on a budget?

Well, id like to say everyone lol

I have the opportunity to pickup a brand new name brand HOLSET HX40W that sat on the shelf for a few years. My rebuilt studded navistar 506 has been begging me to rid the GM5 for some time now.

A mere $150 takes the turbo home still wrapped in plastic...however it has a T4 flange.

I know there is adapters out there. Call it ridicule but im not trying to spend wads of cash on this swap. Im not scared to use the OEM oil drain and build my own down pipe adapter.. if i use a flange adapter, i assume i will net such space where the pre fab d/p adapter from PT/quadstar wouldnt fit - along with the oem oil drain, and clocking the compressor properly to fit the oem plenum would probably be ugly. I dont want to deal with that. Can either the turbo or manifold be re-drilled? Is there any alternative? Id hate to pass up this deal.

Lmk what yall think.

John

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also- anyone building downpipe adapters for these things in the off time? I remember someone posting years back they were doing it for some side cash. If so- id consider just having one pre fabbed, 3/8 longer to compensate for an adapter if necessary. I can work around the rest of the problems.

·
Just add Fuel
573 Posts
My S300 is T4. The thread on the install is here: S300 Install
I built my own 3.5" downpipe so did not need to worry about an adapter. I originally cut the factory drain and added some hose, but I eventually bought one from qstar. It looked like it would be flexible enough to mate up with my raised turbo location, but it wasn't. I ended up building an adapter to fill in the gap between the turbo and the drain.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My S300 is T4. The thread on the install is here: S300 Install
I built my own 3.5" downpipe so did not need to worry about an adapter. I originally cut the factory drain and added some hose, but I eventually bought one from qstar. It looked like it would be flexible enough to mate up with my raised turbo location, but it wasn't. I ended up building an adapter to fill in the gap between the turbo and the drain.
Thank you for the info. PT builds quadstars dp adapter and oil drain kits.. I'm going to give them a call and see about the possibility of them adding 3/8" to both.

Part of me likes the design of Leroy's oil drain a bit more and looks like it would possibly have some more length to it.

How thick is your adapter?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that cat is out.

Called PT, got a prompt answer- but he said he's to busy to get involved making something custom. I'm not all that concerned about building a DP adapter.. or even using his and extending my down pipe itself in length to reach.

·
Just add Fuel
573 Posts
How thick is your adapter?

I think both the T3 to T4 flange adapter and the oil drain adapter/extension are very close to 1/2".

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sourced a mild steel t3/t4 flange adapter that is 3/8 threaded with studs. Leroy claims that his oil drain should be long enough to compensate, all that remains that im worried about will be the exhaust. I shouldnt have much of an issue coupling the intake after re clocking the compressor and using the billet v band to slip hose adapter.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yeah, solid deal for $150!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, the next question is- what to do with this wastegate. Being that it is clocked away from the compressor housing and the compressor housing isnt tapped, what is the easiest way to deal with this and set the boost? I know there are spring actuated options out there but .. $$$!

I have just about everything else planned out well in my head. Going to build my own oil drain with AN10 fittings and braided hose, use quadstars feed adapter.. and i have already ordered a t3/t4 adapter. I plan to order PT's down pipe adapter for the 40W, and extend my down pipe 1/2". Also finally scored a complete K47 box in good shape, and i will plumb that with 4".

·
Administrator
16,738 Posts
So, the next question is- what to do with this wastegate. Being that it is clocked away from the compressor housing and the compressor housing isnt tapped, what is the easiest way to deal with this and set the boost? I know there are spring actuated options out there but .. $$$!

I have just about everything else planned out well in my head. Going to build my own oil drain with AN10 fittings and braided hose, use quadstars feed adapter.. and i have already ordered a t3/t4 adapter. I plan to order PT's down pipe adapter for the 40W, and extend my down pipe 1/2". Also finally scored a complete K47 box in good shape, and i will plumb that with 4".
You can fabricate your own TurboMaster. There are a few threads in the 6.5L FAQ page with some pics.
You'll need a boost gauge to set the boost correctly and be able to monitor

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dismantled the holset actuator and have a plan to build one. Just need to source some hardware and a spring. I might toy with that this week. Waiting on some remaining parts..and available time to decommission the truck for a few days to take my time and do the swap.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Made some stuff happen today. I bought a few different springs to play with once I get her mounted!

·
Administrator
16,738 Posts
Nice and clean setup (y)

Reactions: JSarge

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Things are getting serious

Reactions: OkDually