Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over at TDP thought might be worthwhile here also.

I just installed a set of HP injectors this weekend definite seat of the pant attitudinal adjustment in the truck
, I don't know if the old ones were so afflicted, or new ones are just that much better.

One thing I can't explain though is something that has been a mystery since I owned this truck has been fixed with the injector swap.

Back in 2001 I was having a problem with turbo surge/drift /rapid boost swings on hard acceleration 3-5psi swings on boost gage., everything else normal IAT, manifold at MAP sensor, coolant, WG actuation, EGT steady

Through lengthy posts and member help at TDP maybe 3 pages over 3 mos or so, we found a bad donut gasket between upper & lower intakes, EGR valve being unseated under load when running on L65 PCM unpowered EGR sol, vac leak across unpowered baro and EGR solenoids, so we single plumbed vac to WG only, & added boost controller.

And finally Intercooling all of which knocked the swing incrementally in stages progressively better to surges of .5 to 1.5, seen only on hardest accel demand. Say race demand
or cruise control kicking in up long hill, let off the throttle and swing tamed out gradual throttle application no swings, stomp the pedal surged until at steady state speed or back off a bit.

New injectors has stopped this completely zero surge regardless how hard I stomp on it, go figure. I can only postulate that 1 or more of the injectors was weak and wasn't holding fuel delivery under high demand situation.

If I wasn't gauged and didn't have a Snap On scanner to view it all, probably would not know it was happening as you could not feel it only indication was at the boost gage.

You Diesel Swamis/Gurus out there care to weigh in on this one.

As for the injector install not too difficult on drivers side, pass side another story, I'm told it can be done without removing turbo, for life of me can't figure how.

Tip for turbo removal, soak nut/studs on exhaust manifold with good penetrant PB Blaster worked for me, then find "ALL" of your extensions and access the nuts from the bottom of the truck, you have just enough room to get around suspension to get on the nuts.

Use a 6pt wiggly socket, 12 pt will slip, have somebody keep the socket on the nut while you turn from underneath. I didn't have a somebody handy as per usual except for me.

I inserted the extensions up from below as close as I could then took a plastic zip strip around the extension shaft to the frame/torsion bar pulled tight for the 3rd hand; to tension while positioning socket to nut and hold it there until I could crawl under to turn the breaker bar & ratchet. That worked for 7 of 8, #8 cyl back right; under AC dryer no advise on that one, perserverance and holding your mouth right only thing I can say on that one.

Now that I have passed the initiation test of #8 injector, do I get to learn the secret handshake and password
for the been there done that society.

Final advise if you haven't done this before, plan to make a day of it, start with #8, make it through that one rest are easy.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I have surge problems on '94 cc, always figured it was the back pressure of the very long, stock exhaust pipe. Changed OPS to get the lift pump going,and the problem was diminished, but still there.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QM you running any sort of boost control, also are you EGR equipped, I had some problems inthe EGR are causing boost probs, Bill Heath also says his turbo master can halp in this area as well.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I'm not running the boost control, but i intend to make my own in the near future. I didn't like heath's potentiometer(looks like a big knob) or his price.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heath's is the turbo master , mechanical I'm not sure whos knob device you are talking about, currently I'm running a Kennedy control on mine works well and does not set a code. I just installed a Heath reflash PCM I'm going to try the TM since the reflash won't set a code now.Edited by: Turbine Doc

·
Registered
120 Posts
Doc, you get those injectors from Kennedy, im planning on an injector replace in the comming weeks.

Of course im hopeing for a power increase, but also hopeing for better cold starts. My buddy's 6.5 starts very quickly, and runs very smooth right away, i have a bit of a rough idle for a few seconds after start-up.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I have pretty good starts when warm, I had a bit of trouble today the truck had been shut down a couple of days and not plugged in temps been in the 30-40s, I don't have a manual glow override only stock glow control, I also have new PCM so not sure if I have a problem there also.Edited by: Turbine Doc

·
Registered
584 Posts
I did the injector, glow plug, hoses, cooling upgrade, timeing chain & gears, raditor clean at the raditor shop fix it up time. I removed and replaced the turbo (3 times, don't ask) from up top with out getting underneath except for the oil pan stuff. I think I take off and replace the turbo in about an hour and half now or less.

Soooo, my now if removing turbo makes anything easier I'll take it off.
Edited by: 16gaSxS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts