·
Registered
326 Posts
Okay, that's kinda ugly. What happened?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jim dont know never would have known except for changing the cover.

Mac um yeah.... Edited by: chevmeister

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Great .....

I'll check mine once my cover comes also .... If anyone has been abusive to one it's me .... I took the wifey for a ride the other day last week first time since Suncoast inplant .... Took her sideways in second gear ,now my passenger grab bar is even loser ...

What have you been up to ?? You certainly have some ass-end issues ...

Mac

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nothing

take the facts 8k truck with agressive tires....11k on the tires and there half dead..... doesnt take a rocket scientist..... mostly just off the line with some boost.... not much power braking.... well not a whole lot maybe 5 times...Edited by: chevmeister

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it still smokes all 4 right? lets see a SRW say that!!!!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Oh Christ....Mack if yours is toasted...mines an abortion. Let me ask ya this though. Not being all to familiar with rear ends. What is that little gears purpose.....and what does the big gear do? Is that spider gears or what...I took one diff cover off once for a fluid change...dont remember seeing that.

Mack whens the diff covers coming I want to check mine out ASAP.

Should of kept it stock....Sun *****.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
See how it works Here ....

With any luck Chevmeister has a bad one ......He does ride around with his foot on the brakes all the time ....

I dunno when da pans are gonna show ,what's done is done nevertheless if sum'tin is done .....

Mac

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Question about G80?

I ran a list of RPOs for each year from 1998 through 2002 (my MY). Some G80 codes, depending on the year, were lockers, some limited slip, and some positraction. What gives? Do the RPOs change by year (according to this listing, they do)?

Thanks,

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
As far as I know they've been using the Eaton Gov-Lok exclusively since the late 80's.

Ask Michael Tomac about his... his truck came without it and he installed the G80 afterwards. He's got tons of drag race launches on his.

chevmiester...

You go through brakes in the rear at 15,000 miles and now your locker is destroyed.
Sit down here boy. What you doing to that poor truck?

I wonder if there's a relationship between the two problems.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
correction locker is not destroyed.... it still works great..... the gears inside are toast..... as far as the problems being related..... i dont beat my truck half as hard as Tomac or Mac...... if mine is operator inflicted mac will be draining chunks from his... i do remermber at one time the trailer brakes werent working.... wire was broke dont know for how long.... could have been a while.... stoping 16k on truck alone could be the culprit..... but they did wear uneven side to sde by bout 1/8"

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
chevmeister said:
correction locker is not destroyed.... it still works great..... the gears inside are toast..... as far as the problems being related..... i dont beat my truck half as hard as Tomac or Mac...... if mine is operator inflicted mac will be draining chunks from his... i do remermber at one time the trailer brakes werent working.... wire was broke dont know for how long.... could have been a while.... stoping 16k on truck alone could be the culprit..... but they did wear uneven side to sde by bout 1/8"
I don't know how your locker is working..... that little shaft with the spline end... engaged in the side torn up ring gear is what actuates your locker. That's what detects the 100 rpm difference in axle speeds and releases the swing cam that actuates the wedge block that spreads the side gears into the clutches.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wel the posi marks prove it.... i can show you some fresh ones from tuesday, just checking so to speak..

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
chevmeister said:

Geeee Thanks tube steak by anouther name ....

Guess we'll see huh ........

Mac

·
Registered
410 Posts
guys, at the sake of being a dummy...posi vs locker vs limited slip...would someone define please...also, i believe my sticker on my 03 chevy said locker..tisis the g80 eaton right ??

·
Registered
704 Posts
Posi was a GM term for a limited slip differential. Both of these use a clutch pack to pass some of the torque from the wheel with the least traction to the wheel with the most traction. This is done at some ratio based on several design factors, but always a ratio of torque. For example suppose a 40% ratio. Apply 100 ft-lbs to the wheel with the least traction, and 40 ft-lbs will go through the clutches to the wheel with the most traction.

The problem occurs when the wheel with the least traction has no traction at all such as when it is in the air or on wet ice. Transfering 40% of 0 ft-lbs to the wheel with the most traction is still 0 ft-lbs.

A locker physically locks together both wheels, keeping them spinning at the exact same rate. When a wheel is in the air, or on wet ice, it will not be applying any torque, but if it spins, so will the other wheel, which will hopefully have more traction.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
The G80 Eaton these trucks come with is actually pretty trick. It is a locker. It locks as a function of shaft RPM.

In that pic, you can see the centifugal weights and the gears system to spin them. When speed exceeds ~20mph, it UNLOCKS the locker. So now I guess you've got a spool. ;)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok that explains a few things. Dealer says im gettign a new carrier should have it back noon tomarrow. Cause unknown......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts