Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably as a result of creasing the tailgate after those cables break, Chevy and GM tailgates have become a high-theft item around here. They sure remove very easily.

Seems to me a small length of metal tubing around the entire hinge would really slow a theive down? You'd have to remove the bolts in the hinge to remove the tailgate.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
You could buy a tailgate handle lock. If they can't get the tailgate open, they can't steal it. However they really do not do a very good job. They only keep the honest people out.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Take it off, better fuel milage, or like Max says They make a good locking system.

Geno

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Actually Geno, it has been proven that trucks get better mileage with the tailgate closed!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Put a locking hard cover on the bed will slow them down some.

·
Registered
83 Posts
2 days after I bought my truck someone helped themselves to my TAIL LIGHTS!!So I went with an aftermarket alarm and a magnetic switch on the tailgate.I dont want to prevent theft I want to catch them!I also found an electric actuator that you can tie into the factory alarm and door locks,it will lock the tailgate handle also.

Here is a link:http://northeast.zoovy.com/category/tailgatelocks/Edited by: Heathen

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Hi everyone,

I believe it's Mcgard, the same people that make locking lugnuts so your rims dont get stolen, make a special bolt with a ecentric cam that replaces one of the bolts next to where the tailgate pivots when you open it.

It won't let you take the tailgate off without the key. I had it on my last truck and it worked good. I'll have to get another one for the new truck thx for reminding me about the stolen tailgate's.

Bye Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
When I purchased mine 2yrs ago ~ I figured there is no real surefire way to secure the tailgate from theft. However, one can slow them down by one or more of the foregoing suggestions. I elected to safetywire wrap the sping clips ~ won't stop'em but hopefully slow them down long enuff to be seen or even discourage less determind individuals.

·
Registered
183 Posts
This made me think of years ago when stealing stereo's in my buddy's neighborhood was common he just taped a band of racor blades around the back of his stereo
. His father had a problem with punks running through his hedge and destroying it so the answer take 8 foot 2 by 4's drive spikes every 3 inches and put in middle of hedge spike up
.Don't know if either caught anyone but makes you sleep better at night
.My idea is once you cross the line "I make" you are fair game.Let the thieve beware I'm ready and waiting

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike, thanks for the links to those tailgate locks. I know you can't stop a determined thief, but slowing 'em down probably will make 'em move on to some else's vehicle.

Hose clamp around that right hinge pin pretty clever, too.

I had my '89 4x4 Chevy all of 1 month before someone came along and got the spare tire AND the tailgate!

Just installed those VR straps. Really nice. I'd hate to lose those as well.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
since you're using the VR straps, a simple fix would be to remove the spring steel from one side completely and find a small piece of solid steel. The punched holes in the upper strap are 3.3m. Using a solid piece of steel punch two matching holes, get some short button caps or security torx screws M3 or standard equivalent) and some nuts and put the solid piece in place of the spring material. Viola, you have a strap that cannot quickly be removed and should cost you less than $5 max.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I have a Handy Louvered V-gate (for my 5ver) and I drilled a hole in the upper right area of the gate (between the louvers) and bolted in a small eye-bolt. Did the same to the bed ( where the stake pocket is located. Then I got a small piece of cable (plastic coated) and swedged into loop around the eye-bolt on the gate. I use a small water resistent lock to lock it at the bed eye-bolt. I also used the nylon lock washers so it is practically impossible to get them loose without a wrench. By the way the cable is only long enough to let the gate release the pins, but not long enough to get that side of the gate off the hinge. It ain't fool proof, but it'll stop someone from just grabbing & walking off with the gate in a parking lot.

JP

·
Registered
398 Posts
A .357 Magnum

I have seen the hose clamp and it seem to work well.

GM tried A small bracket I think it was in the 2000 model year but it was just not strong enough so they quit using them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Clever idea there Rick. Think I'll do both sides!

That was quick with the second go around on the straps. Good quality! Like 'em a lot. Sure don't want to lose 'em. I think I'll use a couple of these ideas. As I said before, I think if you slow the thief down just a bit, he'll move on.

I like John's .357 idea also. With my luck, I'd end up with a bullet hole somewhere in the truck.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I also Wired (.040) around the spring clips.....Still have it!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
gwmayes said:
I like John's .357 idea also. With my luck, I'd end up with a bullet hole somewhere in the truck.

Nah ~ just remove it, set it against a cutbank, procede to blast it w/Johns .357 a dozen times or so. Then reinstall it ~ no one would want it then

·
Registered
120 Posts
I haven't paid attention to how the tailgate hooks up for many years but after getting mine ripped off at college (and then getting it back) I took the tailgate off, unbolted both pivot points off of the back of the pickup and swapped them to opposite sides. Bolt one on first put the tailgate on it and fit the next one in the tailgate and bolt it back on the truck. On the 1979 there was NO way to get it back off without unbolting one side at least . . . never had a problem after that! That side that gets bolted up last is one PITA to get to.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts