Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Resident Pinhead
6,638 Posts
i finally got tired of posting the link to banks site, so i made this video on how to turn up the fuel. hopefully this video ends up helping people because it took me 2 hours to make what with all the dead camera batteries and all. i forgot to add about how to remove the guide pin on a late model DB2 or a 6.5 model DB2. youll have to break the plastic lid off of it, and then measure, or count how many threads are sticking out of the jam nut(this guide pin adjusts the max RPM, and if its screwed in too far the housing presure will rise too high and seize the pump). then loosen the jam nut untill it almost hits the allen screw head, then unscrew the allen head part and pull out the guide pin as far as i do in the video. now, when removing the govener spring ass'y, be careful not to loose this little (red) spring that is inside of it that the guide pin presses on. to reinstall the spring i used a VERY small dab of grease to keep it stuck in there.

Disclaimer..

please see this thread here for the pro's and cons of turning up the fuel via the top cover.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/472987-ip-pump-adjustment-couple-different-ways.html

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well done bud, just one little tip. Try and stay as clean as possible, put parts on a paper towel and even wear latex gloves. A few little pieces of dirt could cause some damage. Great video though!

·
Resident Pinhead
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i tried to keep as clean as possible. but i didnt go too awful far out of my way to do it. that is one thing to keep in mind, sorry guys.

·
Registered
257 Posts
not bad but i took my cruz out since it didnt work! and i took those 3 screws out pryed the high idle thing outta way and the first time i didnt have to take the gov out. i used a 5/32 allen and turned it up but the new pump i had to take it out and it was very easy! nice vid man

·
Mad (Sean) Max
9,602 Posts
Thanks 4320 that may help come spring

·
Off we go!.......
8,772 Posts
when looking at the pump as you are in the video what way do you turn the screw
The fuel screw? If you want to turn the fuel up... Clockwise.... If you want to turn the fuel down... Anti-Clockwise

·
Registered
88 Posts
This video -very detailed- should be in the stickys.
Thanks,Tom

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is this applicable to all year model 6.2L's..?

Also my Air Intake/Cleaner is way different than yours..! What kind of air filter setup is that..?

·
Resident Pinhead
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats my presure chamber since i have a turbocharger on my truck. it is applicable to all 6.2's. i have heard of some late 6.2's having a plastic cap on the guide screw so you cant remove it. withthose pumps you get to the fuel screw through the top but you have to go in from an angle to get around the linkage inside.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What kind of turbo setup is that..? Ive been thinking of piecing a low boost setup together with some basic parts...

I like your intake cover piece it just screws on in place of the factory air cleaner unit and then all is needed is the pluming to and from the intercooler...

Ive seen the passenger side 6.5T manifold for sale rather cheap and the u-pipe does all that just mate right up..? and Im going to use the old oil cooled Benz Diesel T3 turbo... Is the 6.5T oil pan used of just rigging up some pipe with some welding..? and where do you pull oil pressure feed from without robbing the motor of what it needs..?

Also I have heard of the 6.5T heads cracking due to heat is this common on the 6.2 heads..?

·
Resident Pinhead
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the turbo and manifold was a GM-3 off of a 6.5. you dont need an intercooler with a stock 6.2 since it can only take 10 psi as a max. and an intercooler isnt needed untill 15 psi is hit. i took the oil from the oil presure sending unit conection behind the engine. it worked fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your video certainly gives me enough confidence to pull of the proceedure. Now if I only knew why I want to and whether I want to go up or down I might actually try.

·
Resident Pinhead
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
give it 1/8th turn. that kinda gives it a smack on the ass to get going. not as much as a turbo but muchb etter than stock.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would agree with you in not needing an intercooler at less than X-Amount of PSI; but i live in south florida miami to be exact and a cold day here is 85 degrees so sitting in traffic at sea level in this kind of heat a intercooler is mandatory... Ill even add a small 12v fan to it too...

Does turning it up the 1/8th turn increase fuel consumption alot..?

·
Resident Pinhead
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well how much does it smoke? if it doesnt smoke at all youcan give it some juice. if it has a light whisp at wide open throttle then your probably close to good. im not too sure really.

·
Resident Pinhead
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it didnt hurt my milage that much i dont think.it made it so i could drive the truck without the throttle being mashed to the floor.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts