Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine is getting a custom made 40 gallon fuel tank that will fit under his retrax. I might get one down the road as well.

What is the best way to tap into the fuel system? The shop that is building it does lots of these and they always T into the fuel filler with a valve so when your fuel tank is empty to stop and turn the valve to fill. Him and I both don't like this idea because you have to stop every time to fill up.

Can you leave the valve open all the time? Is the fuel tank sealed or will it leak out of the vent or something? I know you would get covered in diesel if you ever opened the fuel filler but he could always use a locking cap.

Any other ideas? Perhaps an electric valve that can be opened from inside the cab?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I drilled a hole and welded a collar onto the filler pipe and tied it into there. I use an electric valve that has 2inlets and one outlet. When powered the valve opens and lets fuel drain into the tank. This worked good when running empty but couldnt fill fast enough when pulling my trailer. I added a fuel pump from Napa that pumps when the power is turned on to the electric valve. I use a sealed cap on my slip tank so i dont get fuel leaking out of the cap when the tank is right full so i had to use the vent hose for a return when the tank is full. I just added another fitting to the fillerneck and put the vent line to it so it dosent airlock when you pump from the slip tank to the main one.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a link or something to the valve?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
No sorry..........The valve i got from Napa as well. I tried to find a dual tank splitter from an older chevy and you dont even wanna know what GM wanted for it so i went with the Napa setup. You just have to plug the other outlet because its open when the power to it is off. I do have some pics but they are hard to make out what is going on because of the angle. IIRC the pump was $60 and the power valve was around $30.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I'll see what I can find from Napa.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Are the tanks in our trucks pressurized, in a vacuum or just vented?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I read somewhere on here that you can leave a gravity feed open 24/7 as long as you don't open the stock filler cap, but it is not legal to leave it open.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would think that the cap would be vented and it would flow out the cap but i might be wrong. I know a guy who does that on a older Dodge.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I teed into the vent on my main tank, and use a small pump to transfer fuel on demand. My tank has a pickup tube system.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Please keep in mind that with two filters and two tanks you may need a boost/pre-prime pump. I have some first hand experience with this. Later! Frank

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Please keep in mind that with two filters and two tanks you may need a boost/pre-prime pump. I have some first hand experience with this. Later! Frank
OTOH, when the cross-bed tank is full, if the gravity-feed is open (assuming the OEM cap is not vented), the fuel filter is no longer the highest point in the system :)

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I would think that the cap would be vented and it would flow out the cap but i might be wrong. I know a guy who does that on a older Dodge.

You can leave the valve open all the time and it wont come out of the cap when closed........open it when full and be prepared to have a diesel bath.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Air obviously has to replace the consumed fuel, thus, it appears that something in the system allows for one-way venting.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Gravity flow - I got drug into a CHP weigh station near Beaumont Ca west of Palm Springs a few years back for a weight check - GM CC 4X4 Dually (triple axle 43' enclosed trailer) with a 6BTAA Cummins in it. Was 29,900, but tires got me by. Inspector noticed my gravity flow 100 gal tank in the back, and told me that was a DOT no-no, with a heafty $10,000 fine. He then went over me with a fine tooth comb, but the only thing he found was I had one clearance light out and the gravity flow tank. He gave me a written warning on the tank, and required proof I changed it out in the form of pictures of the changeout send to him at the CHP. He also wanted to look in the trailer (3 race Porsches) and I think that helped him go easy on me. I changed it, sent pics, and never heard again. I know of others who have gotten gravity flow tickets in the past few years (though not that expensive) with fix orders. According to DOT tank manufacturers, gravity flow tanks are illegal in any form. DOT does have a web page on tank requirements you can pull up. If you had an accident, your insurance could be voidable or other problems could arise. Before I used a gravity flow tank, I would check the regs again and see if it applied to me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Any photos of the fuel tank, I've got the Retrax also and like the idea of using up that space under the Retrax. Also how much are they charging for the tanks?? Thanks.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Experience here. My under Retrax canister gravity feed tank tee's into the fuel filler line via a manual ball valve. I have, by accident, left the valve open while driving. It will not push out the fuel cap; I do have the GM locking cap, but don't know that it would be any different than the non-locking cap.

Just for grins, I have tested the stock cap with a full stock tank and 50 gallons in the bed tank, and it did not vent out.

I have a 3/4" plumbing on mine, so I can dump fuel pretty quickly. Gravity dumps over twenty gallons in the time it takes to take a leak.

And no, I don't drive with the valve open, unless I forget to close it after dumping during a stop. If I was to get in some type of accident, I don't want to risk dumping the extra tank's contents.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any photos of the fuel tank, I've got the Retrax also and like the idea of using up that space under the Retrax. Also how much are they charging for the tanks?? Thanks.
No photos for a few more days. $800us for aluminum custom made and installed. :eek:

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Just off the wall here....

Does anyone know any reason why the aluminum Transferflow tool-box tanks would not be acceptable for non-potable water.... for example, say a pressure washer for cleaning a dirtbike or washing down driveways or cats?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.