Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first off, most of us know you can download GMTDScan from http://www.enghmotors.com/ and buy an ALDL cable that supports 8192 baud communication and scan your truck....but the cables seem to run $55-$75 and up! Which I found a bit silly.....if its a cable, then you can build your own....After looking around for a while and doing research on what other people have done to make their own ALDL cable I came across something interesting.....most people are making cables that go to a computer serial port.....which is simple but silly because most laptops don't use serial anymore....so you would have to covert from serial to usb and that cost money and a pain in the ass.....so i found a guy who did it a little simpler over on another site...(hope this is ok to post for educational purposes) http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?719-Uber-easy-DIY-USB-ALDL...

This how to will show you step by step how I took the info from the above thread and made it work with Engh Motor's GMTDScan Basic all for the total price of $9.99!

First thing you need to do is purchase a FT232RL USB to Serial Module. I bought the "Arduino FT232RL USB to Serial Module USB to TTL level + USB Cable + dupont #248" on ebay. (item# 260917151841 from seller: polida2008) for $9.99 with free shipping.....yes it came from china and took like 2 weeks to get here....

When you get it and take it out of the package it should look like this:

the orange and brown wires will be still connected....I forgot to take a picture before I cut them lol, but you should have the "board", 4 wires and the usb cable.

Now the first thing you need to do is cut two of the wires in half, I choose the orange and the brown, strip both halfs of one wire (the orange in my case) and one of the halfs of the other wire (the brown in my case). You should now be left with this:

You can set the other two wires and the half of the one wire off to the side, you will not need them now....
Now you need to connect pins RXD and TXD together and have a wire lead coming off them. On the module, you will see that there is a jumper on these two terminals:

Just above the USB terminal in the center of the picture.
(don't mind the up close picture of my nasty finger...lol)
You need to remove this jumper so you have this:

Now take your two halfs of the same wire (my orange ones) and put one on the RXD pin and one on the TXD pin and take your other half wire (my brown wire) and put it on the GND (ground) pin that is in the top corner of the module so you now have this:

Ok now go find some 2 lead insulated wire, speaker cable, your neighbors phone line, ethernet cable, whatever you feel like using. (I found some old speaker wire that worked well) and hook BOTH wires of the same color (the RXD and TXD pins) together to one lead and the ground to the other. This is doing two things, it is connecting the two pins together like they need to be and giving you some wire to work with. The other end of your wire will be going to your ALDL OBD1 port under your dash so keep that in mind as far as length goes. Now you should have this:

yes i just twisted and electrical taped mine together for now. I just wanted to see if this was going to work before i took the time to make all my connections nice. My lead wire aka speaker wire is about 3 feet long even though you cant see it all in the pic, I also marked the ground with a piece of tape so I didn't get them mixed up.

Now go ahead and hook up the usb cord to the module and to your computer (hopefully the laptop you will be taking with you to your truck. lol) you should get the red led light to come on to let you know the module is getting power:

Hopefully your computer "sees" the module:

(and before you ask, yes the next pics are of me taking a picture of the screen with my camera, I was too lazy to do screen shots so deal with it! lol)

In my case with Windows 7 Home Edition and an internet connection, the computer searched for the driver and installed it for me! :)

Yours might not say "COM3" like mine, it will depend on what USB port you use.

If you do not get this and/or your computer fails to find the driver on its own then you are going to need to google search for a "FT232RL USB driver" for your operating system. Since I did not have to do this, I can't give you much info on manually finding the driver. I did do a quick google search to make sure they are out there and I found a bunch of links so don't give up!

Ok now the "hard" part is done.

Now you need to go to http://www.enghmotors.com/default.aspx and download GMTDScan Basic for free.....follow his instructions and install it. After you install and have your usb module hooked up to your computer, you can follow his instruction in the program and do the ALDL interface test. It shoud find the module and tell you, you are ready to connect. You may need to select witch COM port you are using so it knows which USB port to look at.

Now you need to take your setup out to your truck and hook the wire that you connected your RXD and TXD pins to and hook it up to the ALDL port "M" which is the 8192 baud data pin. And take your ground and hook it to the ground pin of the ALDL port which is pin "A".

What it looks like under your dash:

yes you could get some little connectors that would push into the pins or buy an ALDL pigtail and wire it up to your leads, but for the purpose of testing, I just stripped the wires about 1/2" and doubled them over twice or so and pushed them into the pins and made sure they made decent contact. I think I am going to actually hard wire mine to the wires after the port and put my module in the dash or console so whenever I want to scan or datalog in the future, I can just shove the usb cable into the module and go.

Now you should be able to connect up the computer like you had it before, open GMTDScan and select Connect to Truck......and if you did everything right.....(yes i know, I took a picture of the computer screen again) lol

Now you can go to the "Dashboard" and play around with all the different things you now have live access to....

You can change what each of the 4 screens do from the drop down bars. Its pretty damn cool! You can now also read and clear your "check engine" codes with your laptop with the truck running!

The next step from here for me anyway is to use TunerPro RT (a free tuning and datalogging program) to datalog my truck and learn about tuning so I can get a Moates APU1 AutoProm and read my current chip, emulate and tune it with TunerPro RT and burn new chips. I have currently downloaded TunerPro RT and have had it recognize the cable and see it was working properly but I am still learning ALOT about TunerPro and have not yet located the correct definition file for TunerPro to communicate with our trucks yet. Im sure its out there and if not, Ill make one....but Ive only been messing with TunerPro for like 10 mins so Ill update this when I am able to datalog....

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
tyvm for this post! very simple, you took some great pics, im going to order my self one right now, i've seen them used before for other stuff like electronics but thats more technical, vs this is as easy as 1-2-3 almost ha ha!

this should be added to the faq's

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yea i hope a mod will add this to the FAQ or sticky it or something....and yes i hate half ass how to's.....I like everything spelled out so I know 100% what I'm doing before I get in the middle of the project and go ok wtf.....lol

and i should also add that there is no frekin way I would have not been able to do this if it wasn't for "RobertISaar" 's post over on Gearhead EFI that I linked to. I saw what he did and figured it "should" work on our trucks since he was also dealing with a 8192 baud ECM.

Other peoples cables have to like be hooked to a separate power source and there is all kinds of diodes and resistors and what not, then you are still messing with a serial cable.....he figured out how to let the cheap little module do the work for you....he deserves the credit for thinking it up, I just made it work for us. lol

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
A+ good job i will be doing this for sure just bought the cable off e bay if i have any questions i will come and ask

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. There will be more to come when i learn more about TunerPro RT and start datalogging.....then gather info see what the trucks doing and suck it up and put down the $329.00 for a Moates APU1 then the fun will begin.....I want to do in depth how to's throughout the process...I want to see how far I can push things with a fuel economy tune and a towing tune....then see about doing a setup to easily switch between the two....

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Way cool. Almost wish I had a OBD1 truck. Only OBD1 I own right now is the wife's Mustang. The Ford system apparently does not have data streams like GM did. The GM OBD1 system was actually pretty decent. It was for sure way more advanced than the others at the time. Starting in 1980 when it first came out on Cadillacs you could scan for codes and do basic diagnostics from the climate control panel. There are still only a few other makes and models that can do something similar what 30? some years later?

·
Registered
171 Posts
thats a cool set up and cheap too, ill have to try it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope this will be the beginning of a tuning file share. About time that all the lockdown on 6.5 tuning ends.
I agree, I will be sharing everything that I learn and future bin files hopefully and what not as much as I can unless someone up the line shuts me down because ive pissed off a vendor or something...then ill just share it elsewhere i guess. lol

Way cool. Almost wish I had a OBD1 truck. Only OBD1 I own right now is the wife's Mustang. The Ford system apparently does not have data streams like GM did. The GM OBD1 system was actually pretty decent. It was for sure way more advanced than the others at the time. Starting in 1980 when it first came out on Cadillacs you could scan for codes and do basic diagnostics from the climate control panel. There are still only a few other makes and models that can do something similar what 30? some years later?
yea i would say that it was a decent amount ahead of its time. some of the Chrysler's where you could read the codes on the DIC are the nearest thing ive ever seen to how gm's was designed.

thats a cool set up and cheap too, ill have to try it.
DO IT! It's easy!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Subscribed!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i got the stuff ordered from ebay
that would be awesome if i could get a few tunes for my truck being obd 1 to buy a chip is like 500 bucks and i dont plan on keeping the 94 for ever want to upgrade to a 98 or do i?will i have to buy anything else to write the tunes to the computer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
OUTSTANDING. Thank you thank you thank you, can't wait to get my cable from China and play around. You are BEYOND cool for showing us this

·
Registered
47 Posts
i got the stuff ordered from ebay
that would be awesome if i could get a few tunes for my truck being obd 1 to buy a chip is like 500 bucks and i dont plan on keeping the 94 for ever want to upgrade to a 98 or do i?will i have to buy anything else to write the tunes to the computer?
This cable will only let you run diagnostics, and reset the timing with GMTDScan Tech. It won't let you reprogram the ECM. For that you either need an eprom burner and some software (and a couple small adapters), or an eprom emulator (from Moates) and some software.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It's cheaper to chip an OBD1 than a OBD2,,, have you check the classifieds here? :wink:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for chiming in Drip, like he said, this will just let you "scan" the truck aka check engine codes, reset codes, monitor i think it is 37 or so different sensors, and soon be able to data log (record) those sensors and that will allow you to see where you can make improvements in your "tune". Then you can buy a chip burner and new chips (and maybe a chip adapter), THEN you can actually burn new chips and "tune" your truck....I will probably just buy the moates APU1 because it will read the current chip in the truck, emulate the chip (plugs into the chip socket in the trucks ecu and lets you tune in real time so you dont have a burn a new chip every time you want to try tweaking something) and then burn chips once you have the tune where you want it for now....of coarse this all also takes knowledge on tuning and lots of time and patience....

Drip and I (mainly TheDrip lol) are working on finding the best definition file for TunerPro RT so those with this "adapter" or similar cable setup can use TunerPro to data log and go from there....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks for chiming in Drip, like he said, this will just let you "scan" the truck aka check engine codes, reset codes, monitor i think it is 37 or so different sensors, and soon be able to data log (record) those sensors and that will allow you to see where you can make improvements in your "tune". Then you can buy a chip burner and new chips (and maybe a chip adapter), THEN you can actually burn new chips and "tune" your truck....I will probably just buy the moates APU1 because it will read the current chip in the truck, emulate the chip (plugs into the chip socket in the trucks ecu and lets you tune in real time so you dont have a burn a new chip every time you want to try tweaking something) and then burn chips once you have the tune where you want it for now....of coarse this all also takes knowledge on tuning and lots of time and patience....

Drip and I (mainly TheDrip lol) are working on finding the best definition file for TunerPro RT so those with this "adapter" or similar cable setup can use TunerPro to data log and go from there....

Take a look at my OBD1 MPG meter thread, unless y'all are already working on something I plan to expand that to record and generate charts from the data. Might save one of both of us some time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea the mpg meter you are working on is very interesting and I will give it a try and mess with it sometime. I'm not sure if it will really effect what we are messing with because we really NEED to get Tuner Pro RT working to get anything farther....which if you hanvent, you might want to look into it as well so you can data log your info which i believe would assist you in your mpg metering project. It would be really neat to have a digital read out screen with current mpg, trip average mpg, etc. Like you said in your thread, i think the key to making that accurate will be, being able to "calibrate" for error in the computer fuel metering and speedometer....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yea the mpg meter you are working on is very interesting and I will give it a try and mess with it sometime. I'm not sure if it will really effect what we are messing with because we really NEED to get Tuner Pro RT working to get anything farther....which if you hanvent, you might want to look into it as well so you can data log your info which i believe would assist you in your mpg metering project. It would be really neat to have a digital read out screen with current mpg, trip average mpg, etc. Like you said in your thread, i think the key to making that accurate will be, being able to "calibrate" for error in the computer fuel metering and speedometer....
Tuner PRO will already data log a 6.5? I was under the impression it was only for programming.

If it won't and it just needs some sort of file to tell it how to speak 6.5 OBD1, I could probably write something. Buddy(94C1500) takes care of the programming side of things for me so at this time I don't have much interest there but I would like to log some of the sensors for review later.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
to my knowledge, with the correct definition file for Tuner Pro, yes you will be able to data log a obd1 6.5. I have just recently started messing with Tuner Pro a very small amount and see that it is set up to data log, i have just not found the correct definition file for tuner pro to "talk" to the 6.5 computer.....i got it to "see" my cable so thats good, and it must be possible because moates.net makes a chip adapter just for 6.5 obd1 trucks so the info is out there.....somewhere....lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
to my knowledge, with the correct definition file for Tuner Pro, yes you will be able to data log a obd1 6.5. I have just recently started messing with Tuner Pro a very small amount and see that it is set up to data log, i have just not found the correct definition file for tuner pro to "talk" to the 6.5 computer.....i got it to "see" my cable so thats good, and it must be possible because moates.net makes a chip adapter just for 6.5 obd1 trucks so the info is out there.....somewhere....lol
I'll check out tunerpro...is there documentation on the definintion file formats? I have the information that describes the way the OBD1 computer sends data(hence my program at least reports correct data) if I can find some info on the definition file format I could probably write a definition for the data logging.

There was a thread on another board by someone named thedrip that posted some links to tunerpro and definition files for the OBD1 6.5 but I have info from a couple of sources they there are errors in those files and to me they only appeared to be for tuning(fuel/boost table locations, etc...), not data logging.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts