Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy y’all! I recently purchased an ats turbo kit for my truck. The motor mount failed on the previous truck causing the manifold to rub against the frame. I knew that it needed repaired, I just didn’t know the extent of the damage. How would you all recommend repairing this manifold?
Motor vehicle Wood Bicycle part Automotive exterior Rim

· Registered
126 Posts
What a bummer 😕

Call a local welding shop. They should be able to look at it and see if they can nickel rod that thing back into service for you.

Don't even think of using JB weld or something of the like.

I would not let your buddy who welds out of his garage tackle it either, you have heat and pressure there so best leave it to someone who can do it correctly the first time.

· Administrator
27,226 Posts
Welding cast is going to be difficult at best..
As mentioned an experienced welder may be able to jimmy it back together But I believe you'll be looking for a replacement manifold

Reactions: K30diesel

· Registered
2007 Silverado 66mm LDS turbo, 60 overs 10mm Exergy Cp3 Hsp piping, manifolds/up pipes and more
57 Posts
Being a welder by trade I can agree it would be difficult but not impossible to repair. Using stainless steel or Ni rod Tig welding would be my go to for that. You have to pre and post heat it as well as peen it afterwards. Old school way would be to braze it. I would be willing to fix it for you no problem. Where abouts are you located? Shoot me a message if you're interested. Thank you

Reactions: dieselolds

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Being a welder by trade I can agree it would be difficult but not impossible to repair. Using stainless steel or Ni rod Tig welding would be my go to for that. You have to pre and post heat it as well as peen it afterwards. Old school way would be to braze it. I would be willing to fix it for you no problem. Where abouts are you located? Shoot me a message if you're interested. Thank you
I’m from Hawley Tx. how do I pm you?

· Administrator
27,226 Posts
I’m from Hawley Tx. how do I pm you?
place your cursor over the members username on the left hand side of the thread. A box will pop up and on the bottom of that box you will see message. Click that

Reactions: dieselolds

· Registered
2007 Silverado 66mm LDS turbo, 60 overs 10mm Exergy Cp3 Hsp piping, manifolds/up pipes and more
57 Posts
I appreciate the kind words. Glad I was able to help you out. Motor looks awesome by the way. Nice job on the wrap!

· Registered
658 Posts
Good looking repair, must have used Ni 99 rod with all that grinding and polishing. Of course it won't rust in the repair area.
Great pictures too. Going to be near max weight on that engine stand with the full ATS setup ;)

· Registered
57 Posts
Good looking repair, must have used Ni 99 rod with all that grinding and polishing. Of course it won't rust in the repair area.
Great pictures too. Going to be near max weight on that engine stand with the full ATS setup ;)
I used Muggy Weld 72 and 77. Ni99 has a tendency to crack after making multiple passes and you have to really be careful with pre and post heat. With the rod I used you only need to pre heat to 250 degrees and make short 1 to 2" passes. With the rod I used , it will rust the same as cast does. Check out their website when you get a chance. They make a lots of great products for cast repairs

· Premium Member
5,658 Posts
Good job ironworker15👍

Reactions: Ironworker15

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
K30 did you get this installed yet? How much boost is it pushing? I have finally got my ATS kit installed. View attachment 655372
I did. It runs about 13psi at full throttle, and between 1-2psi cruising at 55. It’s a big power improvement, but I have to keep a close watch on the egts.

· Registered
106 Posts
It runs about 13psi at full throttle,
My set up doesn't get that high but I have no additional power. It will peak at about 7 psi for a brief instant and then drop back to 5 or so, I am planning to turn up the fuel next. Good to hear you have more power.

· Registered
658 Posts
My set up doesn't get that high but I have no additional power. It will peak at about 7 psi for a brief instant and then drop back to 5 or so, I am planning to turn up the fuel next. Good to hear you have more power.
A turbo doesn't add power, it adds density to the intake manifold charge. This increases back work, meaning more power needed to compress the intake charge. Plus a slight increase in back pressure.
More air density means more fuel can be added. While you have a boost gauge, you need an exhaust gas temperature gauge/meter for adding fuel.

· Registered
106 Posts
Yes you are correct, and I have a good one installed down preturbo. I also have intake air temp incoming and after pressurized. The EGT will climb to about 900 briefly at WOT. I will get a pic of my gauge cluster on the dash, quite ugly.

Reactions: K30diesel

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You’ll have to be really careful when the fuel is turned up enough for 13psi boost. Mine gets to 1100 degrees very quick. I can only run 7-8 psi sustained. Any more boost for an extended period of time and it’ll climb above 1100 degrees.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts