Diesel Place banner

How to repair broken starter bolts like OEM.

10K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  turbovanman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am working on a 95 for the last few days, had to pull the engine out to do the head gaskets, flexplate was chewed up due to numerous butchered starter repairs by other shops. Long story short, had a leaking headgasket and it kept hydrolocking and blowing the starters off. The bolts were repaired but not properly as half were still in the block and the helicoils were flush with the flange, which won't let the shoulder of the bolt do its job so the starter doesn't move.

So 3 hours later, I had it fixed so I think, :hehe: I removed the helicoils, drilled out the remaining bolts and retapped for helicoils. Also didn't know the last shop broke off a friggin drill bit, :banghead: Censored Now, the downside is the block hole is much larger so the knurled shoulder of the bolt is loose, this will let the starter become loose over time. My fix, the helicoils sit deep in the block, aprox 1/2-3/4 of an inch, I measured the protusion thru the starter. I then took a drill bits up to 1/2" and drilled up to the helicoil. I then took some 3/8 course nuts and drilled out the centers to match the knurl, then ground down the outside until they were a tight fit into the block and voila, a factory repair. Now the bolts fit snugly just like OE.

See pictures below in post #7.

#3 ·
I am working on a 95 for the last few days, had to pull the engine out to do the head gaskets, flexplate was chewed up due to numerous butchered starter repairs by other shops. Long story short, had a leaking headgasket and it kept hydrolocking and blowing the starters off. The bolts were repaired but not properly as half were still in the block and the helicoils were flush with the flange, which won't let the shoulder of the bolt do its job so the starter doesn't move.

So 3 hours later, I had it fixed so I think, :hehe: I removed the helicoils, drilled out the remaining bolts and retapped for helicoils. Also didn't know the last shop broke off a friggin drill bit, :banghead: Censored Now, the downside is the block hole is much larger so the knurled shoulder of the bolt is loose, this will let the starter become loose over time. My fix, the helicoils sit deep in the block, aprox 1/2-3/4 of an inch, I measured the protusion thru the starter. I then took a drill bits up to 1/2" and drilled up to the helicoil. I then took some 3/8 course nuts and drilled out the centers to match the knurl, then ground down the outside until they were a tight fit into the block and voila, a factory repair. Now the bolts fit snugly just like OE.

I'll post the pics later.
WOW! :coolnana:

#4 ·
Just trying to start her and she sounds great but won't light, :(

#5 ·
I've read[never done it myself] that you can convert to 3/8 starter bolts if the holes aren't too boogered up.
I would recommend a heavy duty home made front brace. I've seen plenty of the light weight stock GM braces break. I make my own heavy duty ones to clear a second frost plug heater on the passenger side.

#6 ·
I then took some 3/8 course nuts and drilled out the centers to match the knurl, then ground down the outside until they were a tight fit into the block and voila, a factory repair. Now the bolts fit snugly just like OE.
Dang, If you had a lathe and some JB Weld you would be awesome. :bow:

So how does this go, drill to match, grind to fit and hammer in to size. :thumb:

#7 · (Edited)
Ok, pics as promised. Maybe a mod can put them in my first post? Thanks.

That's how I got it and if you look at the ring gear, you can see some of the teeth are really thin.

BTW Diesel Pro, I had to use some cold weld and a threaded plug, ahem to fix a hole I made, :whistle:

Reactions: dieselolds
#8 ·
Instead of moving the pictures to your original post, I edited the post to point out the pictures could be found below.

You were very ingenious in finding a way of fixing what others had screwed up. I bet getting the drill bit out was fun. :eek:

#9 ·
Thanks.

Yeah, was a bit of a challenge but Snap On skinny die grinder bits sure help in these situations, :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.