Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the symptoms/signs of the injector failure or leaking fuel lines? I just purchased an '01 with 44k miles and am not sure what I am looking for. Also has anyone experience a shutter while going down the road? Mine seems to act like a transmission slip or engine miss when pulling a small grade occassionally on the interstate. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
12,262 Posts

Hello

Bad injectors are diagnosed with a Tech II scan tool or other type readers ... What is checked is the balance rate ...

Bad injectors can cause numerous drivability issues to a ruff idle, smoking excessively to fuel being leaked into the crankcase ...

If you had a leaking HP fuel line more then likely a service engine light would accompany that condition ...

If your genuinely concerned and your under warranty it would be best to visit your dealer ....

Have you any idea when your fuel filter was last changed ?? This is in reference to your lose of power ...

Mac

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fuel filter was supposedly recently changed by the dealer that I bought the truck from. I did have a service engine soon light come on right after my last two fill-ups, and it would stay on for about 10 seconds and go off. Do you have any idea if that would be related? Can injectors go bad without a check engine light?

Thanks for your help,

Justin

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
juicemac78 said:
The fuel filter was supposedly recently changed by the dealer that I bought the truck from. I did have a service engine soon light come on right after my last two fill-ups, and it would stay on for about 10 seconds and go off. Do you have any idea if that would be related? Can injectors go bad without a check engine light?

Thanks for your help,

Justin

Justin

The SES was in reference to a drop in pressure in the HP line as this would be detected by the ECM and a SES would be commanded ....

You most certainly could have a bad injector without a SES ... Honestly I don't think this is your problem ....

It would not hurt, unless the selling dealer can produce documentation the filter was changed, to try and see if this is a partially clogged fuel filter problem ....

There is good news in this as you said a SES has been illuminated so a code has been stored ... The dealer can read and diagnose the problem that is causing one or more of your problems ....

At the same time have them test drive and check on that stutter your getting if it isn't related to the SES ...

Good luck keep us a breast of the resolve ....

Mac

·
Registered
30 Posts
Curious to see if anyone has actually smelled the dip stick to see if a slight diesel odor is a result of a leaking injector. My father has an 01 with 66k and has been worked hard pulling a large 4 horse trailer with living corders that seemed to have a slight odor of diesel on the dipstick. I pulled the SES code and it read a "large fuel leak". Upon taking to the dealer he changed the oil and said there were no issues. He also has an 02 and I have an 03 and none of them have any hint of diesel smell to them when checking them out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts