Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading this thread and post,
http://dieselplace.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1521176&postcount=5

I decided to take a look at the power steering system and flush mine out.

The system has a pressure side going to the brake system, and low/no pressure on the return.

Rather than try to snake the return hose down, I clamped the return hose off, took off the return hose (with a rag to catch the small amount left in the hose) and placed a 6 ft clear hose (3/8 in) on the exposed brake nipple. I ran the clear hose down to my oil change container.

After starting up the engine, I had a helper press on the brake pedal and the old fluid flowed. I kept pouring in new synthetic fluid into the power steering unit until the fluid coming out the clear hose changed to the synthetic color, like the post said, it's just under 2 quarts, I also had my helper turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times to clear those lines out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Arcing;1598325; said:
After reading this thread and post,
http://dieselplace.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1521176&postcount=5

I decided to take a look at the power steering system and flush mine out.

The system has a pressure side going to the brake system, and low/no pressure on the return.

Rather than try to snake the return hose down, I clamped the return hose off, took off the return hose (with a rag to catch the small amount left in the hose) and placed a 6 ft clear hose (3/8 in) on the exposed brake nipple. I ran the clear hose down to my oil change container.

After starting up the engine, I had a helper press on the brake pedal and the old fluid flowed. I kept pouring in new synthetic fluid into the power steering unit until the fluid coming out the clear hose changed to the synthetic color, like the post said, it's just under 2 quarts, I also had my helper turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times to clear those lines out.

great idea, that setup will make clean up a lot easier.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nice, but is on here already "HydroBoost Flush"

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll have to look for the HydroBoost flush one too. Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the ORIGINAL

Check the dates, although I don't go into a lot of detail, I do provide some photos of the parts I'm talking about...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm confused, which is not unusual. The power steering and brake system are one? They use the same fluid? Thought they were separate systems

·
Registered
182 Posts
Two different systems/different fluids, working together.

The power steering comes into play, as the brake booster utilizes pressure from the PS pump to aid your stop.

Something to consider to aid and help prolong the PS pump and Hydro-boost unit, along with helping to extend the PS fluid life and increasing system fluid capacity....
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/71...oduct-reviews/620849-add-ps-fluid-cooler.html

Your two high pressure PS fluid lines WILL leak and need replacing at some point. In servicing these lines, you will have the inner fender and CAC pipe removed for easy access to the PS pump. At this point, with everything removed and out of your way, it's the perfect time to add the fluid cooler to the mix. And easy mod anyone can do with great return benefits. :thumb:

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
That's what is known as the "Hoot Method." You can do the same thing w/ your tranny. Search it if interested.

·
Registered
260 Posts
DID THIS TODAY..
OMG!!!!!!
I aint never.... had brakes or steering like this..
4 qts redline synt.
THANKS DIESEL PLACE!!!!

·
Gone but not forgotten member
2,582 Posts
Flush the brake fluid and you'll question why you never did it, I know my pedal came up quite a bit....

·
Registered
14 Posts
The dishes are done dude

Got mine done this weekend. And brake fluid. Super easy even on your own. Been doing all my own work and maint. Since I was a teen and these never crossed my mind. I always checked levels and topped off when needed. Then I made the mistake of well plenty of time left I should polish the lids of the tool box before I put it in the new truck. Yeah 4 hrs later got one side done. 3 hrs on Sunday and it's in the back of my truck and looks good. But I think next time i would buy a new one if it bugs me that bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts