Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have posted a few times and now i am just stuck, from what i understand what i want to get wont give me black smoke when i jump on the gas. My original plan was to get a edge juice w/ attitude and a 4" mbrp exhaust and later on a cai. From what i gathered on my other posts this wont even make it smoke? So now i guess what i really want to know is what do i have to do to my truck to make it smoke with just a 4" exhaust, cai and what chip? I REALLY love the attitude moniter, i like that i can mount it in my overhead... allot... So can anyone tell me what to do? There has to be someone out there... thanks again

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a 03 with the Edge/Att running it on the 2nd hp setting and the lbf on 4 and it smokes when I hit the gas.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
My Edge never really smoked much on Level 4 or even Level 5. The PPE really smokes a lot but that is a big tune that needs a trans.

For my truck if I want lots of smoke, I would have to run a tune that would require a trans.

You could choke off the turbo for less boost pressure and that will give more smoke.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You wont look like a freight train, but you can produce smoke w/ the Juice/att combo. Rolling into the throttle while cruising along under low boost conditions can make a fair cloud. (talking level 2 or 3 with low boost fueling turned up)

·
Registered
333 Posts
I hate to ask this but, why would you want black smoke. For years all the diesel guys that I have been around have said that smoke is a sign of a problem. I beleive it comes from pushing more fuel than you have oxygen to burn completely. Sure for a tractor or a truck pull it is logicall to give it more fuel than it can burn because it makes a little more power and carborn build up and fuel economy are not factors. However, for most every thing else when it smokes like that you are pushing it to hard or you need to see a mechanic.

But heck if that is what you want just restrict you air intake or reduce your turbo boost pressure.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
buy a bully dog and load the crazy larry tune ;)

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Which part of IT WILL SMOKE WITH THE EDGE ON 4/4,5/5 DONT YOU UNDERSTAND?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I don't know how much you want. I wanted to throw smoke before I got a Predator tuner and I am happy with how much it makes. On 65 hp setting I get a small puff to come out. About as much as you might see on a bone stock Cummins. When I put it on the 85hp setting there is a good bit more. Check my video attachment in my sig. I would expect that to be pretty close to the amount that comes with an edge on level 4.

·
LT. Dan
6,817 Posts
i run my edge on lvl 3,5 and lvl4,5 and i dont get a lot of black smoke. i have to lay on it hard and ill produce a little bit of smoke. i thought getting the edge i could get a lot of smoke out of my truck but i was wrong. guess my truck is just running too well to make a lot of smoke?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Some LB7s just don't smoke that much with the Juice. Mine never smoked all that much on any level with the Edge. Great power and I didn't miss the smoke. Got rid of my PPE because it smoked too much.

No smoke and awesome power is what I would want.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Maybe mine is an oddball,it smokes alot on #'s 4 and 5.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
66flh;1294988; said:
i think something is wrong if it smokes lots i had a edge and the only time was rolling into it it would smoke not for very long though
you want smoke not sure why but go with ppe or efi and you can have as much black smoke as you want. personally i dont know why you would want it but its your choice

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm not worried about the smoke, just sayin that I have an oddball as well because I have PPE and mine doesn't smoke hardly any unless i really get on it. And one of the times I did was on the 170 horse tune and limped my ally. Whoops. About time for an upgrade here.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I would be glad (as I am) that I have a truck that does not smoke. It means more of your expensive fuel is being converted to power.!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Mine smoked ok on the edge 5/5 but for the frieght train effect...and i mean black out of a two lane HW :D or toll gate ):h You need PPE :ro)

·
Registered
309 Posts
66flh;1294988; said:
Ditto

·
Registered
868 Posts
LTChip;1296296; said:
I would be glad (as I am) that I have a truck that does not smoke. It means more of your expensive fuel is being converted to power.!!
Me too!!!:exactly:

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
ppe totally gets it done, but if you don't have the trans done I have seen the crazy larry tune from bully dog get it done too. STAY away from edge

·
Registered
731 Posts
a edge hot juice will smoke quite abit more than the cold juice imo.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
if you want the neverending black cloud you will have too much power for the tranny unless you upgrade it. adding an exhaust and intake will also reduce smoke because you will be getting more air.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts