Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone know how to properly lift a dually so it doesnt fall apart if i drive it daily. I spoke with the guys at ORU and they told me to do a solid axle swap and I would not have any issue and I could go as high as I wanted. They said the main issue is the truck weighs to much to lift 2 high and I will have alot of future repairs.

Well if i had 20k to do a swap I would proably intertain that option and build one like there web site has. I then ask my self why dont I just sell the truck and get a 2500HD and then I wont have this issue, but i like having a dually to tow my lard *** around.:). Once i get it lifted it wil be different truck as you dont see to many dually lifted. I id be happy if I could clear 38s' or do 22.5 semi conversions.

I looked on the FABtech web site and they have a coil over conversion for the 2500 which looks to be when I need. i am going to call FABtech and see if it fixs the crew dually in the am

any thoughts ?

thx

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
You might want to ask in the 3500 Dually section.

·
Registered
109 Posts
First I would like to let you know that if you do lift a dually, plan on spending some money in the long run, because you will be blowing in on the suspension over the course that you own the truck. My cousin had a '04 lifted about 12'' and ran 24.5 semi wheels and the suspension was never the same. You will constantly keep blowing the tie rods. Check these websites out, these guys have been lifting duallys and putting big rig rims on them since the late 90's they should be able to provide info.

http://www.dieselwheels.net

http://www.gawdiesel.com

The gold Duramax C/C with the 24.5'' was my cousins truck

·
Registered
482 Posts
I dont understand why you would lift a truck that was built too haul and tow heavy loads, rendering it useless for what it was built for. but hey it is your money, go for it :cool:

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just did a bunch of research on this very topic. I'm going to be using a 6" Superlift with longer U-bolts, converting the front hubs to take "normal" wheels, putting Bushwacker Pocket flares on the front, and a back up camera. I contacted ORU as well, but they never got back to me regarding wheels, and the person I talked to didn't seem too knowledgable about the black dually they showcase. As far as you wanting to lift a dually, go for it. Not many out there,and sometimes it's nice to be different
I'll post up pics when it's done

·
Banned
720 Posts
they are making the kits now to raise the dually up to 10-12 inches now i have found serveralkits in the diesel mags some like the solid axel swap i still think the factory set up you can't go wrong .call this guy russell lankford 770-318-3130 he owns lanier linex here in buford he has a 06 dually that has 22.5 wheels with one heck of a lift and he swears it rides good give him a call he could answer any or all of your questions call for 9-5 est

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dually lift

I did more checking and Fabtech coould not even tell me if there kit fits the 3500 dually. I spoke with some smaller shops and they said CST or Cogntic has a kit that will fit 10-12 inches. I asked about tie rods etc and they said it not because its lifted. I guess this is a common issue with 2500 and above GMC.

I think I may go with the Cogntic kit wil dual chrome 2.0 fox shocks all the way around and tires have not been decided yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
converting the front hubs to take "normal" wheels

whats involved with converting the front hubs to take "normal" wheels expensive ? as id love to convert mine as well

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts
shillyar,

Where do you live? We are in Northern California and can help you with what you need on this size of a truck. Its not hard at all. Check out our site and let me know.

www.NORCALTRUCK.com

Nor-Cal Nick

·
Registered
385 Posts
shillyar;1589584; said:
whats involved with converting the front hubs to take "normal" wheels expensive ? as id love to convert mine as well
Thanks to members on here, I found out it's just a hub swap. A customer of mine is a GM diesel tech, so I'm getting a deal on 'em(about $150/ea). Apparently retail is over $300/ea.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HUB SWAP where to get parts from

Where can u get the front hub swap from ? I called the GM dealer and he had no clue waht i was talking about .

Thx steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts