Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In 2003 GM discontinued the footwell lights in the truck line up. The mounting brackets are still there and adding them is easy.

You will need two right angle 194 light bulb sockets with tails (see photo). I found mine at Advance Auto Parts. Look under both corners of the dash and you will see the brackets mounted to the metal brace. Push the socket into the crossed shaped hole and make 1/8 turn to lock it.

You will find a 10mm nut near the drivers side bracket to ground that light. On the passenger side, completely open the glove box (carefully pull the right side of it until it clears the catch) and let it hang down. I grounded that light to a nut on the XM radio mounting bracket. If you don't have XM there are plenty of other places in that area to ground to.

For power, remove the cover on the junction block by your left foot. On the right side of that block there is a stack of three harness plugs. You want the middle plug. Looking at that plug on the left side, middle row you will see two gray/black wires coming out of that pin. You can splice into either wire (see photo).

Once done your footwell lights will work with the rest of your interior lights, including the theater dimming.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Very nice write up!!! Im defiently doing this to my truck ASAP...

Ben

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
The list keeps getting longer, and longer, and longer. Good write up.

X2, but I'm still trying to wipe the grim off my face.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Hill1430,
You have a part # on those light tails?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I did this to my avalanche and didnt realize how much I missed the lights.

HINT- go to any bodyshop and ask them to look through their scrap pile, you can find this sockets in the side running lights or even in some front headlamp assembles will have them in it using peanet bulbs. just cut about 6 inches back and you have sockets ready to go(FREE)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hill1430,
You have a part # on those light tails?
They are Conduct Tite #85868, GM license & side marker light, $4.98 from Advance Auto.

Where did you get the speaker grilles for your rear tweeters??

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Copy...

I just picked up Conduct Tite! #85814 / GM License Sidemarker Socket. Same type but just has the wires in a upward setup. Still uses the 194 bulbs.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those will work!

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Copy....$3.99 from Kragen and AutoZone.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thank Hill!!! Did the mod this weekend.... I agree, I didn't know how much I missed themfrom my previous Yukon..... Love them. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Just a little heads up......

I just finished installing FRONT and REAR footwell lights. Will post pics of the front and rear when it get dark.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Just a little heads up......

I just finished installing FRONT and REAR footwell lights. Will post pics of the front and rear when it get dark.
so how did you install the rear footwell lights?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Okay, these night pics are not the best, so they dont give you the real effect. But it looks pretty neat in real life. I made little brackets for the rear install.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
Doug anymore detailed daytime pics of the rear footwell light mounting brackets?? :D

·
Registered
3,756 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
I mounted my rear footwell lights under the front seats. There is a 1" wide flatbar which runs between the round crossbars. There is already a 8M hole in the flatbar to attach a light bracket.

I fabbed up some custom brakets to hold the light sockets and wired them into the front footwell lights.

Looks awesome. They do make it nice at night to get in the back.

NEL

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thanks, this worked perfectly!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
So I realize this is a thread bump from the past....but it has an interesting twist!

I got my truck last month....production date of May 8 2006. See signature for details.

Saw these footwell light threads and thought that'd be an easy mod that I'd like to do. Went out and bought the parts, and start to install.

Started with the pass side...no problem other than GM evidently hired a midget to get their hands into some of those spaces under the dash ):h . Ran the wire over, plugged it in with a new metrapack....good to go.

Then get to the driver's side. Then I make "the" discovery...somewhere late in the 2006 model year, GM CHANGED THE BRACKET in the pictures above!!!! :( As a result, it no longer has a spot to put in the bulb holder!!!

So for now, ONE side of the cab has footwell lighting :rolleyes:

I'll figure something out...

Reactions: JD4440
1 - 20 of 147 Posts