Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New member here. Been watching for a while as I have a project vehicle I am about to start working on. I am planning to build a P400 up with centermount turbo and install it in a van. I have a possible used P400 longblock that I was told was used in a Dyno only for testing.

What should I look at with a longblock to test if it is in good condition? I can do a compression test if needed. the crank moves pretty freely. What about any other components? any advice is appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It depends on how much money you want to throw into inspections.

To be 99% sure the block is good, you could strip it completely down and magnaflux it to check for cracks etc.

Or one of the cheapest options is to send in an oilsample to a laboretory to check for unusual copper/zink contents(bearings). Compression test are nice and all, but they don't tell the whole picture, it's only an reliable indication.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I will plan an oil sample test and cylinder leak test. One more thing I thought of. Id like to check the serial casting numbers on the block to ensure its authentic GEP P400. Any tips on how to reference the numbers from this block? Thanks for the posts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts