Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 with a 5.7 that is literally a garbage truck that never leaves the property. Really not worth putting any money into. Its got a blown head gasket between 3 & 5. Barely ran that way so I pulled the rockers from those to and it actually starts and runs pretty good when its cold. Problem is once it warms up it starts running like crap and doesn't want to stay running. Guessing that in warn up mode its either running richer or running the timing different in a way that it likes but when it warms up and tries to run in open loop it just can't cope with all the issues like dead cylinders.

I tried unplugging the coolant sensor but all that happens is I get the check engine light and the idle slightly changes. Maybe I need to instead of just unplugging it I install a resistor that simulates around 70*? Any other cheap and easy ideas?

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Was talking to a friend and he had a good theory that my problem was rich because of the 2 dead cylinders. Thats one reason the coolant sensor didn't help. His idea which seemed to work was unplug the injector that feeds the side with the 2 dead cylinders. That with the coolant unplugged seemed to keep it running reasonably smooth all things considered.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts