Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 04.5 LLY, and I can't seem to figure out how to get anymore than 25.5 gallons in the tank, I have had it to where the DIC read LOW FUEL <25 Miles to go. Also how big is the tank, I need to know for SURE, not just a guess, and are all tanks the same size?

Thanks

·
Registered
473 Posts
The short beds are supposed to have a 26 Gallon tank. There is a section in the owners manual that gives the capacities.

·
Registered
299 Posts
2004 lly cc dmax here , and i have to really work to get 25 gallons in it when i'm below E. You also need to note that some pumps measure differently than others, there is a tolerance that they must meet.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I have put 26.5 gallons of fuel in my 26 gallon truck many times...

Glad I got that Mega filter on there to hold another couple gallons

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have never gotten more than 25.5 either, but I have not tried to run out. I was sweating when running out when I got the 25+ the 2 times. It ain't worth the ulcer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Long box holds 36 gal. not 34 as stated in post!

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
26.3 something is the most I have been able to get in.. But the 97 Z71 I went over 27 a few times.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Depends on how you fuel up. If you let the pump stop, foam settle, and then keep putting fuel in each time the foam settles you can get over the amount of gallons the tank says it will hold of course...I have a 26 gal tank on my 6.5 and I can get it slobbering full where it is about to run out everytime when I do this, and that is usually the way I do it so....

realbigfoot

Long box holds 36 gal. not 34 as stated in post!

realbigfoot this is straight from the GM GMC Sierra sales book & web site......

Fuel tank capacity, 26 gallons (short box), 34 gallons (long box)

http://www.gmc.com/specs/specs_content_files/specs_engines.jsp?brand=sierra&vehicle=2500hd Look in the last set of boxes on this page third feature down from engine block heater.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cowboy - my owners manual says 36 gal in the capacitys section! I read your GMC thing that says 34 so I don't know which is correct. My tank at 1/4+ takes 30 gal to fill - so if it only holds 34 that last 1/4+ is going to have to go very fast if in fact it is only 4 gallons!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know....not trying to start anything with ya just stating what its says in the sales book and on the web site. Like I say you can probably fuel it over what it says by running it up in the kneck. My 6.5 goes for a while on a tank after I fuel it up like this. That is if I run it at slower speeds, and don't tow or haul, and run at 65 mph on the interstate...like I do. I don't know...My dad works for a dealership and has been a truck tech/diesel tech for over 30yrs for GM working on GMC's and is now a service manager/shop foreman. I don't know if he would know the true answer to it or not? I'll have to see what he says..Its not really that big of a deal with fuel prices going up you can't hardly afford to let them get real low or fuel them up either one.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts