Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to paint the heads (caps) of my mirrors as wall as maybe the triangle piece that is against the mirror (not sure what that would be called). I've taken these mirrors off a bunch of times (i wrecked one once) and i just took one off the other day it seems like it would be impossible to separate the head from the "metal body" of the mirror as there seems to be no way to slide it off, not even if the mirror itself is off the assembly. Can someone help me please? Thank you very much

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has nobody done this??

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, nobody seems to know anything about this at all! Those few that have painted the camper mirrors, did the bodyshop just take them apart for you? Has nobody done this themselves? If nobody replies to this I may just take the mirror off and see if it is paintable assembled.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
You just remove the mirror glass, there is a clip behind on the bottom. From there you can completely disassemble it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I am going to take mine apart in the spring to paint them. I know that does not help you now. Shortly though I will be getting a new left one. When I do I will take the damaged one apart and let you know.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to take mine apart in the spring to paint them. I know that does not help you now. Shortly though I will be getting a new left one. When I do I will take the damaged one apart and let you know.
I have actually had a damaged one on my '03 truck (backed up while turning and there was a pole there, which took the mirror right off and damaged the door. It actually broke the metal inside the mirror in half). So I took it apart too since it was not usable any longer, but it was so damaged that it was all in pieces anyways and I thought the glass was screwed on somehow when I looked at this one on the '05 and didnt want to risk wrecking it...so can it just be pulled off?

Thanks MaxPower for reminding me amout the mirror part, in theory I can pull on it now without worrying too much...:D

It seems that even with the glass part off the mirror head can't be pulled off of the mirror body (if you want to call it that) but I may have overlooked something. If and when I do this, I'll be sure to write an article for the DYI section!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You just remove the mirror glass, there is a clip behind on the bottom. From there you can completely disassemble it.
I read your post once more (read it too fast the first time...) and I got what you're saying. So you undo the clip and pull the glass off and THEN remove what's necessary underneath it to be able to pull the head of the metal body. Thanks again, I knew someone would know something about this!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts