Diesel Place banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you

Thank you for this detailed information. My LB7 has started with the mild white smoke at idle so I am guessing that this job will soon follow. Your instructions have made me a lot more comfortable doing this myself. Thanks again.
Do you just recommend OEM injectors? Are there any high performance injectors?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Yes OEM are the best replacement there is.

There are honed injectors out there, but I don't recommend them unless you're also doing turbo upgrades for over 500 rear wheel horsepower.

Just my opinion ;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
LB7 Injectors

Wow
Great pictures.
Can't wait to tear into mine.
I do have a couple questions.
Injector Cups.
Should they or will I need to replace them?
Injectors.
Do you recommend factory remanufactutured?
How about Stage 1 from Diesel Logic . com
Thanks for putting this together.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
You do not need to replace the cups.

There is a chance one of them will pop out with the injector removal, and you will need to tap it back into place with a couple new cup o-rings.

I only recommend using the factory injectors, unless you are building for over 500 rear wheel horsepower with the proper tuning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do the injector cups need cleaned on the inside where the injectors go in or do they stay clean on the inside? Also should you replace the return lines or just the high pressure feed lines that go from the rail to injectors?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just finished replacin all 8 injectors and cups with a Dan's Diesel Performance Injector kit. Like it has been said, if you've never torn into this engine it can look intimidating. I could probably cut my time in half now just because I have a much better understanding.

One thing I don't think is mentioned for removing the Injector cups is what tools were used. For about 2 of them I used a blind bearing slide hammer puller kit with works great. The other 6 you'll need to use a Frankenstein tool. I used the insert part of the bearing puller to slide into the cup and attached the union piece from the slide hammer onto the insert. Then used a piece of SDR 21 PVC over the tool, and a couple flat washers and a nut to pull up with. The key is making sure you use SDR 21 PVC. There are many videos on the web showing you how to make/use this tool to get the Injector cups out that you don't have a lot of room to work with, but none that I've seen mentioned what specific type of pipe to use. It's a very tight clearance so you need a certain size. SDR 21 is the only pipe I've found to fit. Took 3 trips to the store to get the right one.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts