Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What part or parts tend to bend therefore need strengthening? I don't have funds for a Class V hitch right now so I'll have to make mine standup to the task.

Can I slide the stocker back on the frame like some do with the Class V hitches?

C-ya

·
Registered
731 Posts
weld u some braces across it and where ever you think that it is weak.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have heard of some actually cracking during heavy towing use. This was mainly on the older models 02-03 and I don't know if they have changed (search on broke hitch).

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695&highlight=reese+titan+cv

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1797319

I personally have seen the hitch start to bend/brake so the receiver portion would/could bend down.

When I made my hitch setup for puller, this is one force I tried to protect against. The hitch seems strong enought to pull a load, it's the vertical load and downward "twisting" force that seems to be an issue.

SmokeShow;1590229; said:
What part or parts tend to bend therefore need strengthening? I don't have funds for a Class V hitch right now so I'll have to make mine standup to the task.

Can I slide the stocker back on the frame like some do with the Class V hitches?

C-ya

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
My reciver is twisted down from pulling, I'm gonna probally build my own setup for this coming season.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
Here's a pic of how I modified the hitch on my Ford. It is also moved forward 11" by drilling only a couple holes.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Smoke Show, did you happen to see the article of Clint Cannon's (ATS) truck in Diesel Power mag a few months ago? They took the stocker and cut it apart and rewelded it in a different location. There was a pic of it, IIRC it was the issue with Tomac on the cover.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I do have that issue and will look it over again.

Is it the the vertical pieces on the ends that attach to the frame that bend or does the actual crossbar twist? Looking at mech's pic, it would appear that his modifications help to stop the cross bar from twisting more so than the end pieces??? That makes sense, just verifying my observation.

Thanks for posting guys.

C-ya

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I'd also either weld some big washers or weld plates and drill em were the pin goes through as I have heard complaints to worbling out that hole. Also were ever they have stick welds I would fully weld it.

Like was mentioned it seems like most guys complain if the hitch getting twisted down.....I'm going to try and mod mine to combat this......

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
pulling with the stock hitch, does it muck up the bumper?
seems to me that where the stocker bolts to the underside of the bumper should keep it from rotating down.
from what few pulls i have been to, the bolt or pin usually fails before the hitch. but then again, i have only been to a FEW....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.