Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a k2500 and was curious how to bargain/treat this whole cracking block problem. I have only seen pictures of the truck (I am going to check it out this weekend I hope) and it looks good but I don't know the block numbers. I assume it is the 506 block, but the pre-delivery inspection was done on 12/19/1996 per the vin request. Could this truck have been built before the 506 blocks were produced? If it has the 506 how should I approach the deal. It is listed at 10,500 but it has been coming down over the last two months (from 13,000). Should I offer like 8,500 or walk? Should the price be knocked down or will they just wait for someone to buy it without knowing about block issues. Sorry for rambling but this would be my first diesel....I'm blushing...

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
It most likely has the 141 block since the PDI was in 12-96 that means it was probably built 10 or 11 of 96. The 506 blocks came in in some of the 96 built 97's but mostly those vehicles built in 97 on had the 506. I've looked at 6.5's with build dates of 12-96 with the 141 block and dual t-stats factory. They are out there, and the easy identifier to see if it origanally(unfortunately it could have received a replacement engine through the years) came with a 141 or 506 is the oil cooler lines. The 506 blocks had the 5/8" oil cooler lines and the 141's had the 1/2" lines. As far as price, make an offer and see if they'll take. Bring up the block issues and such that the 97's and up had as well. I know when I bought mine I looked it over good and brought it all up to the sales manager and got him down from $8999 firm window price plus tax and such down to $8900 out the door(ended up coming out to $7200 plus fees). Check www.kbb.com and www.nada.com and get the average value and go in and tell them what the list price is and that is what you want it for out the door, remember dealers can find other ways to hit you with fees to make up the difference for the deal(raping) there giving you.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bring some papers showing the concerns with the engine & Pricing for a GM long block & installation. I'd offer maybe $3500. But I like to start low.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts