Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright everyone sorry this wont be as detailed as the nav install write up...I dont have RSE in my truck so im just going off of schematics. So as far as actually removing the RSE off the roof, you are kinda on your own. Maybe someone who has RSE and does this mod can help me out with pictures.

So here we go.

Things you'll need:
1. screwdrivers, pliars, wire strippers
2. electrical tape, ScotchLoc connectors (but I prefer soldering)
3. a 3-5 foot long composite video cable. You can buy this at Radio Shack or just steal the yellow plugged cord from your VCR. I reccomend buying a good quality sheilded cord if you can find one.
4. a good quality video distribution amplifier. You can buy one here: http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=783
5. and you will also need another long good quality sheilded video cable that has to be long enough to run from teh RSE to whereever your extra monitor is going to be mounted. (front passenger visor?)
6. multimeter or continuity tester (this is optional tho)

Remove the RSE assembly from the ceiling. I think there are some screws underneath the flip down screen. Flip down teh screen and IIRC there are a couple phillips head screws there. Remove the main plug that connects the RSE assy to the body of the truck. Pull the RSE assy down from the ceiling and open it up so you can get a look at the guts. There will be a bunch of wires inside, some of which going to the LCD screen. Again, im sorry I dont have pictures. Look for the LIGHT BLUE and PINK wires. They will be bundled with a bare wire. This bare wire is the drain wire and its sole purpose is to provide a ground for any residual electricla noise that makes its way into the video wires. Dont worry about the sheild wire, just leave it in place. Get your wire strippers and carefully strip some insulation off off the light blue and pink wires. DO NOT cut them, you are just going to be making a splice into them. Now get your short (3 foot) good video cable and cut one of the yellow plugs off one end of the cord. Strip the wire so the two wires of the video cable are exposed. Now figure out which wire on the video cable goes to the center "pin" of the plug on the other end. Follow me? Basically you just need to separate the two wires and figure out which goes to the metal "barrel" on the plug and which goes to teh center pin. The center pin is "VIDEO +" and the surrounding barrel around the center pin is "VIDEO -". Ill try to find a cable and get pics.

Now when you have all your wires stripped and ready to connect, splice the "VIDEO +" wire of the video cable into the LIGHT BLUE wire on the RSE assy. Splice the "VIDEO -" wire into the PINK wire. Solder the connections well and tape up well with electrical tape. You can also use ScotchLoc quick wire taps, but for the lossy video signal I do NOT reccomend using these. However if you dont feel comfortable soldering, it should be OK, just tape them real well after.

Now that you have the video cable tapped into the RSE assy, you need to hook up the video amplifier. When you split a lossy analog composite video signal like this, the gain gets halved and you lose signal quality. The RSE unit most likely has AGC (auto gain control) to compensate for this, btu soemtimes its not enough for another monitor... So you need a video amplifier to add extra monitors to one signal source. You can mount the video amplifier up in the ceiling, I dont know how big exactly it is, but it should fit between the roof and headliner. Some video amplifiers need to be powered. For these powered video splitters, take the two power wires (ground and +) coming from the splitter and tap into the power wires going into the RSE. The main plug that connects the body to the RSE assembly will have these wires. This is the plug that you disconnected in the first step. ORANGE is battery positive (pin positon 9) and BLACK/WHITE (pin position 7) is ground. One thing tho. I think these wires are hot all the time regardless of ignition position. So be careful when you are tapping into/stripping these wires. I highly highly doubt that it will draw enough power to drain the battery when the truck is not running, but if you start having problemsd with the batteries going dead, let me know and I will explain how to add in a switched relay for the power to the video amplifer.

OK once the video amp has power and thats all taped up and connected, plug the video cord that you tapped into the RSE into the yellow plug on the video amp labeled "INPUT". Then stuff the video amp up into the ceiling. Again, you I dont know how exactly it will fit or how big it is. Then tidy up all of your connections and splices. Before you put the RSE back up into place, Plug your long sheilded composite video cord into one of the yellow video "OUPUT" plugs on the video amplifer. Then run this cable to whereever your auxillary monitor is going to be mounted and plug it into the aux screen. Now you can put the RSE back into place. Be sure no wires are pinched or anything and then carefully screw it back into place. Finish hooking up your aux screen and then turn the ignition ON and pop in a DVD!!! Again, I dont have an RSE, so I cant test this, but there is NO reason it should not work... Let me know if you have any questions...

One more thing. The headphones for the RSE will NOT work in the front, They work off of an infrared signal that relies on line-of-sight to work corrrectly. meaning if you are not sittign in the back seat, the headphones wont receive the signal I dont think. If this is a problem and you dont want the RSE playing over the main speakers, I can add onto this DIY article and write up how to splice into and add an auxillary audio headphone jack for the front seat passenger. Hope that helps. I included a schematic so you can see kinda what you are doing...

---Ben

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw can a mod please move this to the DIY section??

thanks! :D

·
Registered
693 Posts
Cool, that help out alot....:)

Somone by the lad a beer........in a few years;)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks Ben

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:lol: you can buy it for me now too... :D

glad people are finding this DIY article useful!!

--Ben

·
Registered
386 Posts
You da man! :ro)

I have been trying to figure this one out since the day I brought my truck home.

Bill

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if anyone does it could they pleeeaassee take some pics??

thanks
Ben

·
Registered
369 Posts
if anyone does it could they pleeeaassee take some pics??

thanks
Ben
It isn't going to happen until spring but i will email you or post pic that correspond with you instructions. so you can make it nice and neat like your nav install instructions

·
Registered
386 Posts
Ben,

I am looking to do this, and when I do, I will photograph in great detail, and send to you to compliment your excellent writeup. I do have one question though. I cant seem to find the Vizualogic with my color (Have the Tan Interior), so I am going to install the monitor into my visor myself. What are good brands to get, and when I do the installation, where do I draw my power for the screen? Can I pigtail off the one for the video amplifier, and run to the screen? Also just for clarification this will work with 03 and up right?

Bill

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, its only for 2003 and up trucks because you coudlnt get factory DVD (RSE) before 2003.

As far as brand...to be honest im not really sure...Im not too good on aftermarket stuff. You can draw power for the screen from the map light power I would think..

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have belly flopped on this multiple times, first I was going to put in a Vizuialogic, but they are 600 bucks, so then I was going to install into the stock visor. After closer examination, I don't think that the stock Visor with the sliding plastic extension would be suitable to implant a screen for two reasons. 1. The plastic slider takes up a lot of the thickness of the visor. 2. Too much work would be needed to modify to fit a screen. So the first course of action is to locate a "Denali" Style Sunvisor on the cheap. I am currently looking for a Shale color Passenger side Setup with all the brackets and wiring. Once I have that I can hack it up. I think this would be cheaper than spending 600 dollars on the pre-made one. Key word is think. Once I have the visor setup, then I can determine which screens would be best (based on Quality, size, price, and thickness.

Bill

·
Registered
369 Posts
just got done doing mod to the rse here are some pics i still need to reinstall and run switched power for the video amplifier and snake my video patch cable to the a pillar. but all tested well with some twists to Bens original post. #1 when removing, loosen the four bolts (10mm) that hold the assembly up, two bolts in rear are hidden under a flap the folds down and forward, the two front bolts are under the flip down screen these are accessible when you flip down the screen after you have loosen the bolts with both hands on the two sides of the rear of the assembly pull down ( there is a barbed push lock (first pic) that holds this up and you will destroy it by removing the assembly but you don't need it as it is there to hold the assembly up on the assembly line until some one can tighten the bolts) the front is on a slotted hanger the unit will slide back and down on this hanger and will hang from the roof so you can unclip the power connection from the dvd. #2 the pink wire on the wire diagram previously posted is really purple on the 2006 rse systems and the lite blue wire is just blue. #3 if you cut these wires (purple and the Blue) and install a video jack to each end and run the jack that comes from the dvd player to the video in on the amplifier and the jack that goes to the screen to one of the video outputs on the amplifier it will give you a much better picture on the original flip down screen.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
awesome!!!! Thanks a lot geabis...I kinda wrote this how-to article blind because I didnt have an RSE unit in front of me to play with. The pictures and more detailed description will be a great help to a lot of people looking to do this mod.

Ben

·
Registered
369 Posts
more pics.
i hope to get the tnr installed this weekend. just getting every thing ready so i don't have to have the entire truck ripped apart. rse first, camera and power locking tail gate tomorrow and then the tnr and lux amp over the weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
TNR as DVD monitor

OK so it looks to be easy as the Nav. / Lux. upgrade but I have a few questions

1. How is the picture quality on the TNR HU.
2. Can you supply the part numbers of what you used and where you got them.
3. I was looking to use a GM dual interface cable from the link below.
http://www.audioandvideointerfaces.com/products/product-detail-GM.htm

·
Registered
137 Posts
TNR as DVD monitor

Whops forgot this question. If I understand correctly I will take the video signal from the Blue and Purple wires send it to a video amp. and then with the two outputs send one back to the RSE and one to my new pac style module. From there have the module either play from the video amp (RSE DVD) or when put into reverse the back up camera. Now what wire do we use for the back up camera.

·
Registered
369 Posts
OK so it looks to be easy as the Nav. / Lux. upgrade but I have a few questions

1. How is the picture quality on the TNR HU.

Picture quality is great just as good as the factory rse.

2. Can you supply the part numbers of what you used and where you got them.

pac interface that is listed in my sig, cheap video amp like this one http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=16295&cat=783&page=1, some rca cables one to cut and splice to the rse , one to run to the pac adapter at the head unit, one pc. of 18ga. stranded wire to run the switched pos to the video amp from the drivers side fuse panel, and a cheap fuse tapping kit from autozone(takes one fuse and splits into two fuses), and some misc. heat shrink, electrical tape, and radio solder.

3. I was looking to use a GM dual interface cable from the link below.
http://www.audioandvideointerfaces.com/products/product-detail-GM.htm
the link is bad and i don't know what you mean. is it a patching cable that GM uses in the ESV?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Whops forgot this question. If I understand correctly I will take the video signal from the Blue and Purple wires send it to a video amp. and then with the two outputs send one back to the RSE and one to my new pac style module.

Yes you are correct

From there have the module either play from the video amp (RSE DVD) or when put into reverse the back up camera. Now what wire do we use for the back up camera.

here is the thread for the reverse light wiring hope it helps.

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78131

1 - 18 of 18 Posts