Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a question.If my Duramax puts out 300 hp,and 520 lb.ft. of torque and I run my Edge on 4 that's only 30 more hp than an LBZ,that'll tear the Alli up pretty quick right?So if the new LBZ puts out 360 hp,and 650lb.ft of torque,how are the new trannys gonna last?Are they a stronger tranny?Am I missing something?I was under the impression that they were the same except for 6th gear.(more or less)I tried a search but didn't find this.:help2:

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Mike or Eric will probably chime in here...

But I THINK for 2006 Allison took some pages out of TransGo's book and did those mods to the 6-speed. That coupled with a new TC gives it the little bit of added holding power to deal with the LBZ.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Here is what Mike L. has to say about improvements to the 6spd.

I have torn down the 6 speed and have found the following. The clutches are all the same as far as part numbers on the frictions plates and the number of plates in each stack is the same. NSBU switch is now housed inside the pan. Front rotating assembly ( front drum with input shaft ) has been modifyed. This modification looks to pattern itself after the Transgo shift kit. Outer o ring was eliminated off the C2 apply piston and the C2 ballance piston is now eliminated. Now we have about 20 sq in of apply as compared to 11 sq in of apply for the C2 clutch. I am now tearing into the pump system and valve body for study and modification. I will have this truck back on the road with trans mods in 2 weeks. Where were those bullydog valves?

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
The C2 clutch is stonger in the 6 speed and the cilbration for the shifting is much better IMHO. Problem is, Allison did nothing to improve the C3 which is the hardest working clutch in the trans and now even works harder. I foresee C3s getting wasted real fast because of the 6th gear if you put any power programs on. We hope the NSBU problem is resolved now that it is inside the pan. C1 clutches will still be suspect under hard boost launches ( no real change here ). Trans cooler is still anemic but it was moved lower to catch some air from lower fan blades. The way the cooler lines enter the cooler is not good because it creates too much resistance.
mike

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Mike I did LOTS of hard boosted 4wd launches but my C1's/C2's looked brand new. Do you REALLLLY have to beat on the truck to burn those? The only ones that looked "used" were C3's and C4's...I posted pics in my long thread of the Suncoast install..

--Ben

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Ben
Some Allys can handle the boosted launches for a while and some can't. We don't know which one will so we have to overbuild it. Eventualy C1s will fail under those conditions.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i think the new 6 speeds will not be able to hold much power from a programer stock i know when i get my new LBZ CC SB i will leave it stock intell i have enough money to upgrade to a suncoast and then i will add power
i will mod my truck this way so that the trans wont take a dump on me when i start adding power and i wont have to worry about the trans limping and all that good stuff

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys,Im gonna go out and raise hell for a while.(on #3 of course!):evillol:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Mike or Eric will probably chime in here...

But I THINK for 2006 Allison took some pages out of TransGo's book and did those mods to the 6-speed. That coupled with a new TC gives it the little bit of added holding power to deal with the LBZ.

The "new" converter has a different cover, nothing internal has changed. It will still slip at around 700rwtq.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
hmmm good info thanks Mike.

I wonder why theyre all different? :confused:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I read somewhere that the new 6 speeds would be able to handle 600 hp and 900 tq because of the mods that can be done. I can't remember where exactly i read this but i'll try and find it again.

·
Registered
252 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
The article states 650ft lbs. max engine torque which is exactly what the LBZ duramax puts out. So they designed it for stock power no more.............but that can be changed;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yeah my bad didn't pay close enough attention.:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts