Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, got a few problems I was hoping I could get some direction.
A few days before I was to take my truck in for warranted injector work it got totaled, I put it back together and it still smokes heavy at idle and a very noticable rattle/clacking when it gets warm. now I have a salvage title{warranty block??}
options:
Injector replacment 3-5 thousand [dealer]
replace entire engine myself 3-5 thousand [junkyard]
replace injectors myself exactly whats involved?? tools, parts $$??

If I change engine, what exactly would it take to put in an lbz, or lly

The real problem is that my new shop/tools are in seattle, and my truck w/6000#trailer is in northwest PA. will the 3000 mile trip destroy the engine or will it just smoke alot and get bad milage

BTW im a tightwad with skills and no time. [ just to complicate things]

any insight will be helpfull

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
LLY swap detail is here.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135428

As far as changing the injectors yourself, its not that bad. Two of us did it on ours in about 12 hours for all eight. Without a warranty though, I went with the LLY swap. Let me know if you need anything else. I'm building a huge pile of leftover parts.):h

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
How long ago was the wreck? If they haven't filed the paperwork yet, it hasn't been warranty blocked yet. The injector swap isn't that bad. It takes a lot of time and a few specialized tools. Buy a 3/8 pin punch to pry the injectors out and save the $75 for the injector puller (pictured in my garage.)

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just read the link and you said "...and no more LB7 injector issues." Are you saying that the LLY injectors don't have any problems?

RickDLance;1584664; said:
LLY swap detail is here.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135428

As far as changing the injectors yourself, its not that bad. Two of us did it on ours in about 12 hours for all eight. Without a warranty though, I went with the LLY swap. Let me know if you need anything else. I'm building a huge pile of leftover parts.):h

·
Registered
264 Posts
i wouldnt try to drive her 3K miles!! You have to watch out cause the injectors are notorious for flooding the crankcase with fuel when they go, I know from experience. Real easy way to have to do an engine swap!

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Way easier to do an engine swap on a shop in pa...they to try to find a place enroute to wa with a trailer and a dead truck...

·
Registered
382 Posts
I live in Western PA, if you need help on this end finding a shop or something, I got people. Let me know if I can help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts