Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have acquired a pre-loved 2012 Silverado 2500HD with 100,000kms to tow a 3.5T trailer. The truck was previously used to tow a 5th-wheeler/trailer up to 4,000kms as part of a regular go-kart tyre delivery business. Unfortunately, the truck also sat unused for weeks at a time. Here was I thinking its work history ticked all the boxes?

Soon after purchase, CEL light for P003A code kept re-appearing. After diagnostics ran on Tech2 etc at local GM dealership, confirmation that turbo vanes stuck, new turbo. I will dismantle the old turbo this week to get more details of the problems.

My truck is not my daily driver, so it may sit idle for up to a month. Do I have to get a babysitter to drive it once a week to keep the turbo vanes healthy when it is not being used? I live close to the ocean, so rust is also a consideration.

What do LML owners do if the truck is unused for about a month?

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
How long and hard can you run it that once a month? My LBZ was retired from daily driving 5 years ago or more, but when I do drive it it's very aggressively. I don't have any issues out of it. My concern would be how often it's going to regen with that little driving and mat be the quality of the Def sitting for years maybe.

Have you searched I bet this has discussed before?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Gone but not forgotten member
3,455 Posts
Daily if possible, especially during winter months. On the gasser, it gets driven 25 miles once a month, as it sat as "backup vehicle!"

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
444 Posts
My LML sits idle for six months of the year.... no problems, yet.

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have fixed turbos for vanes sticking and agree with your climate you should be using the truck as much as possible. Very little clearance in the vanes. Hopefully nothing got in there and bent them. That is the other possibility. Follow up with what you find.

·
Registered
2012 3500 srw cclb
157 Posts
I drove my lml everyday 30,000mi a year and pulled a 40ft fifth wheel for weekend fun. Now shes down, blown head gaskets..

Reactions: TiredFarmer

·
Registered
323 Posts
My 011 tows the boat to Florida for 3 months in the winter than sets in the shed for 9 months. Has done that from the day it was new. No problems so far - ymmv.
49K total miles.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Before parking for an extended period run it down the road, fully warmed up! The worst thing for the turbo is parking it with condensation in the turbo turbine, corrodes the machined surface the unison ring rides on.

Reactions: zert100

·
Registered
2012 3500 srw cclb
157 Posts
I drove my lml everyday 30,000mi a year and pulled a 40ft fifth wheel for weekend fun. Now shes down, blown head gaskets..
Update: Had to have Trans rebuilt in the end of 2019. I think Ive paid out more in repairs than I paid for it.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Update: Had to have Trans rebuilt in the end of 2019. I think Ive paid out more in repairs than I paid for it.
How many miles on it when trans done?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts