Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hard starting problem that I am trying to fix on my '97 6.5L. I get good cranking speed and about 15 seconds of WTS light, but hard starting and lots of white smoke. I have used my mulitimeter and get 12V at the plugs. I pulled the 4 drivers side plugs and put them in a vise. I used a batt charger and applied 12V to them. They are 3 y/o Kennedy Quick Heats. The tip starts to get red after about 3-4 seconds and then by about 10 seconds 3/4 of the element is red. Does this sound right? I was planning on replacing them, but they would appear to be working? I thought once I saw an article on the QH's vs 60G and they showed them glowing, but I can't find that to compare to what I see. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright... So I tried using a battery with jumper cables and had the same results. So I am assuming the glow plugs are good. I will install them again and keep tryin to figure out what is wrong. This morning I tested the CTS and got about 17.3k Ohms, it was about 7 degrees. So from my search that sensor should be okay.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will try pulling the ECT connector tomorrow morning and see if that helps. It started okay this afternoon, but it was near 30 degrees. Earlier this week when our high was 11, I had to start the truck with the temps in the single digits at work, I really had to crank to get it to start. I have always had good luck with the truck starting in the cold. After I first got it in '99 It had 60K on it and had been sitting for a month since I was on the road for work, I came back and the temp was in the single digits and the truck was not plugged in, fired with not too much trouble. I'm going to also replace a few of the spade connectors since they look a little rough.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, so I pulled the CTS plug and that didn't help any. Then I removed the 6 easy to get to glow plug connectors (1,2,3,4,5,7) and cleaned them and also took a pliers and squezed the enges down so the ends were tight on the glow plugs. This didn't help either. As stated earlier, I am getting voltage at the plugs, but I wonder if the glow plug relay controller is not able to supply the needed amperate. In other words could the contacts in the controller be bad and not able to supply the needed amperage, but able to supply 12v as measued from a voltmeter?

Side questions: Is there anything special about the spade connectors on the wires? Can I replace them with the ones we have at work for relay bases from Waytek? The are look identical, but I don't know if there is a coating on these for high heat?

THanks
Chris

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did check the voltage at the plugs and I get about 10.2 volts. I guess my thought is that it doesn't take much of a connection to get 12 volts to register on a voltmeter. But it would seem to take a solid connection of some substanance to take 7A at 12V. I wonder if the glow plug relay is making enough contact to make 12V, but the contacts are carboned up and dirty enough that they can't get the 50A of current to the plugs. I am going to try hot wiring around the relay for 15 seconds and see if the starting improves tonight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.