Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My company is llocated about 3/4 mile from the local Chevy dealer. The dealer is located on a state highway with limited places to get on and off. This being said, when people test drive vehicles from this dealer, they most often come down our street in the process of returning back to the dealer as there is no other good way back. BTW - Our shop is out of view from the dealer.

The reason I mention this is that two times already this week, I see a brand new Chevy truck in front of our shop melting the rear tires. The test drivers sit there and break torque them and burn the tread off the tires until you can't see the truck for the smoke !!!! It is quite entertaining to watch, and these new LBZ's are quite fast.

Nice treatment to a truck that has 5 - 10 miles on it.

This may be a good reason to order a truck :)

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Maybe if you let the dealer know about what's going on,it'll quit happening.:eek:

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Guys see Stacey David on Trucks add a tuner or something to a Diesel and then go out, powerbrake it and smoke the tires. They see that and think it's cool so they go out and do it. I would go tell the dealer if you've seen it happen more than once or twice. Not that it's going to kill the truck or the drivetrain, but a customer is paying for new tires on a new truck not tires than have been thru a burnout competition. If anyone is looking to buy a truck off the lot it's easy to see if the tires have been roasted. Look at the front edges of the rear tires. If they are rounded off or if there is rubber on the rear quarter panels or inside the wheel wells you might want to find another truck.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Agree

Guys see Stacey David on Trucks add a tuner or something to a Diesel and then go out, powerbrake it and smoke the tires. They see that and think it's cool so they go out and do it. I would go tell the dealer if you've seen it happen more than once or twice. Not that it's going to kill the truck or the drivetrain, but a customer is paying for new tires on a new truck not tires than have been thru a burnout competition. If anyone is looking to buy a truck off the lot it's easy to see if the tires have been roasted. Look at the front edges of the rear tires. If they are rounded off or if there is rubber on the rear quarter panels or inside the wheel wells you might want to find another truck.
YES I AGREE THAT IS A HELPFUL POINT & GOOD REMINDER 2 CHECK OUT 4:exactly: :exactly:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also, look real close at who's driving the truck. See if they're wearing a service department uniform.... I've test driven plenty of high powered cars(and a couple fast trucks:)) in my day and cant imagine a salesman on a ride along allowing that. Now they may be test drivers without a salesman, which by you telling the dealer will cause this to stop. I'd be willing to bet though that some of it could be blamed on the monkeys workin at the dealership...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
that is what test driving is for you take the truck you want just the wrong color drive it like you stole it burnout in it take it bake and get a different truck so you can still get the new tires:muahaha: :joke:

·
Registered
515 Posts
I would tell it to the dealers sales mananger also(ask to see him) on whats going on even though it maybe there service team doing it.I know I would be pissed if I saw my truck being treated like that by there people,if anybody is going to do it its gonna be me:ro) as for customers doing it thats why the salesman goes for the ride also,but I wouldnt want a truck and iam very sure nobody would want it if they knew how it was treated before they bought it.

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
Possibly these trucks were driven by sales people who alredy sold the vehicle and thier purchasers were having thier trucks sent to an upfitter for some custom rims and tires along with an exaust or bedliner? If thats the case i would do it too... other than that tho... well thats why i order my trucks and do the research myself, never trust a truck dealer.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I remember the days when the salesperson took you out
for a spin and let you drive back.

Smoking the tires has no merit in a test drive. Tell the sales manager to
drive up the road and see the tracks.

Perhaps you'll get a good price on your next purchase or shop work.

That's the Honorable thing to do

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sales guys don't care. They think I'm weird for letting a brand new cold diesel warm up a little. I always look at the tires on the new trucks I test drive to see if the back ones are feathered. Mine had 10 miles on it when I got in it to test drive. So maybe one short test drive, still don't like it.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I became weary of the woosey salesmen taking me on a narrow country road to test drive ~ it was 2001, and driving a used canadian Dmax. I puttered along the windy road until we got to a streight stretch ~ I knew it was the county offices but wanted to see what it would do ~ floored it and went past the Place county sheriffs office @60mph (35mph zone). The salemans eyes were huge ~ no deputy in pursuit and meandered back to the dealership. In parting, said "someday I will own a Dmax" ~ he said not one word.

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
my dealer let me take a truck (scratch that... he had some paper work to do for my truck so he TOLD me to take a truck) for the whole afternoon. i was ordering my LBZ and he said to take an 05 (brand new 5miles) dmax and use it... hook a trailer, go on the highway, whatever i wanted. :ro) i did drive around for a few hours but i still didn't want to go hooking up any trailers to a vehicle i didn't own

1 - 12 of 12 Posts