Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently re-packed the grease in my front wheel bearings. I bought the van about a year ago and had a feeling it had not been done for a long time, and now i am wondering when i should do this again. One mechanic said they should be good for 50,000 miles but then someone else told me he does his every other oil change (i really hope that it is not needed that often).
Anyone know for sure how often you should do this?
thanks,
Paul

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
My basic rule of thumb is to repack them every brakejob, which should be 15-25K miles or so. As long as it is done right, that grease will last a long time.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Can you even do this on the new 4x4s?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Can you even do this on the new 4x4s?
See his sig...

1987 chevy P-30 step van (postal truck) with 6.5 non-turbo replacement engine
rebuilt TH400 transmission, amsoil synthetic and hayden cooler
home-built two-tank svo system, starts on homebrew b100 in summer or b50/K1 blend in winter, switches to svo when engine heats up.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My basic rule of thumb is to repack them every brakejob, which should be 15-25K miles or so.
15-25k on a brake job? darn, I go easily 80-90k.

Jim

·
Registered
722 Posts
i dont know about the new 4x4 but my 2000 had sealed hubs (not servesable) and you had to buy hole new asembley if thay craped out had 120,000 on the OEM's and no trouble

·
Registered
800 Posts
My basic rule of thumb is to repack them every brakejob, which should be 15-25K miles or so. As long as it is done right, that grease will last a long time.
I have 40k on mine and they still look good.

·
Registered
754 Posts
This newer trucks are sealed, no maint.. On my 02 the originals were still on it,as well as the entire front-end & brakes at 491,000 miles. Built Like A Rock

·
Registered
262 Posts
My 02's were going out on it but thankfully someone fixed it for me by taking the whole front end off-:t

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
For you non readers out there; The new ('99 - present) are non-serviceable bearings, '87 to '99 front brakes last 20K almost on the money (repac bearngs everytime), '86 to down to old, just about the same as the '87-'99 give or take a few K :cool: old P series van ???? Every brake job..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts