Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mentioned before how easy it is to change the oil filter on the Cummins compared to the Duramax. I just never learn.

The Duramax filter sits sideways and oil drips all over 'someplace' while changing and trying to snake the filter out. The Cummins is so easy - straight up and straight down. Well, not quite.

Tired and in a hurry, I left the metal filter-cup wrench and extension on the filter after unscrewing. It looked so simple to just lower the filter on the wrench.

NEVER TRY LOWERING THE FILTER ON THE WRENCH!

Off the cup wrench it came. Hot oil poured on my neck, chest and new - Christmas gift- shirt. Then the filter lodged on something without falling all the way down. That poured oil all over my fancy, painted Florida driveway.

Cleaned the mess up. Had a new funnel with some slick threads that go into the oil-cap filler. When the funnel filled up with oil, the threads let go and a solid quart poured all over the engine, concentrating on exhaust manifold and crevices. What the engine didn't hold the driveway got again.

Solvent ate the driveway paint, both truck and I still smell like oil, shirt is thrown out and wife is beyond the pi##ed.

Should I blame this on Cummins?

·
Registered
157 Posts
captainmal said:
<font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Should I blame this on Cummins?</font>
Yes.
Edited by: Mjollnir

·
Registered
391 Posts
SHOULD HAVE CALLED HAZMAT CREW IN
, LUCKY IT DIDN'T GET IN YOUR EYES

·
Registered
57 Posts
Doh!!

Kind of sounds like my first experience changing oil in my wife's Izusu Rodeo!

MikeyB

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
capt....

Making a royal mess like that happens to all of us even after having done it in the past. I don't have the skid plates on my Dmax. When I loosen the filter the oil drains straight down into my pan. Much better than my Wife's 94 Full Size Blazer. I use a piece if Reynolds wrap and wrap it around the front driveshaft, bending the edges up and the middle in to form a valley. Helps keep oil off the shaft and skidplate.

If it was me, the filter would have fallen just before I grabbed it.... into the pan, splashing oil everywhere including in the hair and eyes. Did that before.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hoot,

My Duramax did not have skid plates either. Seems like it dripped oil off a frame member when you first cracked the filter. My older 6.5 had the universal joint from the front shaft right under the filter. When you cracked it the oil would hit the joint and go wherever it well pleased. GM may get it right someday.

Friend was under the rear differential of his '66 Vette prying on the cover. He moved right under the plate to change leverage when it 'decided' to flop off right on his face. That boy went to the hospital with eye, nose and ear problems from that nasty rear end fluid nailing him.

Oldest boy just came home with a pressure washer. He's gonna tackle the driveway mess I made tomorrow. I'll help by going shark fishing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts