Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How necessary is boost gauge with programmer ?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  WanaDmxsub 
#1 ·
I have a Duramax 01, LB7 and just ordered a Predator programmer. I do plan to install EGT gauge. I just dont know what boost really tells me ! Is it something I really need to monitor or is it nice to know information ? What is boost ? At some number should I back down ??? And I see boost gauges come in 30, 40 PSI, etc. What size do I need ? Thanks Dan

#2 · (Edited)
Your exhaust passes thru a turbo before exiting. This spools up the turbo, which pressurizes your intake. PSI is Pounds per Square Inch of Pressure you are squeezing into your engine... More air + more Fuel = More Power.

You dont need to worry about PSI until it goes over 32 PSI, the point at which the stock turbo will take a crap. With the Predator, you will not go over, you wont even get too close to 32... you will be in the low to mid 20's most likely (anyone with a Predator and Boost guage that can give an exact #???)

Hope that helps.

Although, boost guages are fun to have, and can help you diagnose problems and/or can let you know how the truck is running. I plan on doing Pyro and Boost together when I get the $$$... you should get a dual pillar pod and do both IMO.

#3 ·
if your not running a tuner that has a read out (edge, tst, outlook) your first mod should be a boost & pyro gauge IMO! Cheap insurance. Boost pressure can spike or say your waste gate sticks (not likely but can happen) the guage will immediatly tell you to theres a problem.

#4 ·
Excellent, clear replies ! If someone is running a Predator with a boost gauge ! I would like to know what the nominal reading is ! Thanks all ! Dan

#5 ·
yellowroket;1590253; said:
if your not running a tuner that has a read out (edge, tst, outlook) your first mod should be a boost & pyro gauge IMO! Cheap insurance. Boost pressure can spike or say your waste gate sticks (not likely but can happen) the guage will immediatly tell you to theres a problem.

Good call, and yes that is why I want to add them as soon as I can!

danbeck - you also asked about how many PSI guage you should get. If you never plan on running more than the stock turbo, then a 40 PSI guage will work great and be easy to read for you... If you plan on upgrading, PSI can get as high as 60's, so plan accordingly when buying your guage.

#6 ·
i have the predator at 65 hp setting and when i hit wide open my boost is a little over 20 psi. hope that helps

#10 ·
#11 ·
26 is the highest you'll see with a stock boost system.
With a stock waste gate and no bleed valves a boost gage isn't required. If you install a bleed valve or an aftermarket waste gate (or even "juice grips") you better have the boost gauge in and working first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.